What is the density of the stone?

• Thread starter Nguyenfa.t
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Density
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the density of a stone submerged in water using a spring scale. The buoyant force is found to be 15 N and the volume of the stone can be calculated using the density of the water. Dividing the mass of the stone by its volume will give its density.
Nguyenfa.t

Homework Statement

When a 50 N stone is attached to a spring scale and is
submerged in water, the spring scale reads 35 N. What is the density
of the stone?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that the buoyant force is 15 N but i don't know what to do after. Can someone please help me step by step. I need to know this for my final tomm and I am stressing out.

Physics news on Phys.org

i know it becomes 1000(50)/ 15 but i don't know where the 1000 came from. can someone please help?

Now you know the buoyant force you also know the volume of the boulder is the same as the volume of displaced water. So you can work out its volume in terms of the density of the water. Next you just divide its mass by the volume to find its density.

1. What is density?

Density is a measure of how much matter is packed into a given volume. It is typically expressed as mass per unit volume, such as grams per cubic centimeter or kilograms per liter.

2. How is density calculated?

Density is calculated by dividing an object's mass by its volume. The formula for density is density = mass / volume.

3. Why is density an important concept?

Density is an important concept because it helps us understand the physical properties of different materials. It can also be used to identify unknown substances and determine their purity.

4. What units are used to measure density?

Density can be measured in a variety of units, but some of the most common ones include grams per cubic centimeter, kilograms per liter, and pounds per cubic inch.

5. How does density affect floating and sinking?

An object with a higher density will sink in a fluid with a lower density, while an object with a lower density will float in a fluid with a higher density. This is why less dense objects, like wood, can float on top of more dense liquids, like water.