Is Doppler Effect Infinite when Wave Velocity Equals Emitter Velocity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the Doppler effect and its formula. It is mentioned that when the wave has the same velocity as the emitter, the frequency will go to infinity. There is also a mention of finding a demonstration of the Doppler formula in electrodynamics books and using approximations to find non-relativistic cases. However, it is unclear where to set these approximations.
Raparicio
Hello.

I have a question on Doppler effect. When the wave has the same velocity that the emisor, u have this:

[tex] f= \frac {\partial {(Vs-Vo)}} {\partial {(Vs-Ve)}} f' [/tex]

In this case, Vs=Ve, f=infinite?

Physics news on Phys.org
Theoretically, yes. When the emitter travels at the speed of sound, the emitted waves travel along with the emitter and therefore the wavelength will go to zero. So f = Vs/wavelength goes to infinity. That's why you here a blast when a jet reaches sound speed.

d

Timbuqtu said:
Theoretically, yes. When the emitter travels at the speed of sound, the emitted waves travel along with the emitter and therefore the wavelength will go to zero. So f = Vs/wavelength goes to infinity. That's why you here a blast when a jet reaches sound speed.

Where can i find the demonstration of doppler formula?

There's an elegant proof for the Doppler-Fizeau formula in electrodynamics books.I'm sure that setting "c"----"v_{sound}" & making approximations u can find the nonrelativistic cases...All 4 of them (in the case of leght,there are only 2).

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
There's an elegant proof for the Doppler-Fizeau formula in electrodynamics books.I'm sure that setting "c"----"v_{sound}" & making approximations u can find the nonrelativistic cases...All 4 of them (in the case of leght,there are only 2).

Daniel.

Dear Dextercious:

I don't understand this "I'm sure that setting "c"----"v_{sound}" & making approximations".

Setting where?

In the general Doppler-Fizeau formula...

Daniel.

1. What is the Doppler effect?

The Doppler effect is the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave in relation to an observer who is moving relative to the source of the wave. This effect can be observed in various types of waves, such as sound waves, light waves, and water waves.

2. How does the Doppler effect work?

The Doppler effect occurs because of the relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer. If the source is moving towards the observer, the frequency of the wave appears to increase, and if the source is moving away from the observer, the frequency appears to decrease.

3. What are some real-life examples of the Doppler effect?

One common example of the Doppler effect is the change in pitch of a siren as an ambulance or police car passes by. Another example is the redshift and blueshift of light from stars and galaxies, which indicates their motion towards or away from Earth.

4. How is the Doppler effect used in science and technology?

The Doppler effect has many practical applications, such as in weather radar to track the movement of storms, in medical ultrasound to measure blood flow, and in astronomy to study the motion of celestial objects. It is also used in the development of radar speed guns and radar-based navigation systems.

5. Are there any limitations to the Doppler effect?

Yes, the Doppler effect is based on the assumption that the source of the wave and the observer are in a straight line. This means that if the source and observer are not moving directly towards or away from each other, the observed frequency shift may not accurately reflect the actual motion. Additionally, the Doppler effect only applies to relative motion, so it cannot be used to measure the absolute velocity of an object.