Solve the Mystery of Brown's Cheque: Absent-Minded Clerk

• Thread starter castaway
  • Start date
In summary, the original check was for $31.63 and the clerk gave Mr. Brown $63.31. After spending $.05, Mr. Brown was left with $63.26 which is double the original check. This problem can be solved using the information that the number of dollars and cents must be natural numbers and the number of cents cannot exceed 99.
castaway
An absent minded clerk switched the dollars and cents when he cashed a cheque for Mr Brown , giving him dollars instead of cents, and cents instead of dollars.
After buying a five cent newspaper,Brown discovered that he left excatly twice as much as his original cheque.

What was the amount of the cheque?

P.S : i read this in a book where the solution was not given!

Physics news on Phys.org
The original check was for $31.63, which doubled is $63.26.
The clerk gave Mr. Brown $63.31.
After Mr. Brown spent $.05, he was left with $63.26 which is double the original check.

I solved this by a little analysis and a lot of brute force:

The analysis: 100a + b - 5 = 2 (100b + a) or 98a - 199b = 5

The brute force:
#include <stdio.h>

main ()
{
long a, b;

for (a = 0; a < 100; ++a) {
for (b = 0; b < 100; ++b) {
long c = 98 * a - 199 * b;
if (5 == c) {
printf ("%d.%02d\n", a, b);
}
}
}
}

EOM

At first sight this problem looks insolvable as you end up with one equation and two unknowns. However, you do not need brute force, since you have more information i.e. the number of dollars and the number of cents need to be natural numbers and the number of cents can never exceed 99.
Is this enough clue?

Last edited:
Piet Pols said:
However, you do not need brute force.
I knew that this was a type of problem called a diophantine equation. However, I assumed that I would be able to write and run the program much quicker than it would take to learn how to handle such equations. But after you posted your message, I felt challenged to study up on it. I used the MathWorld page as a guide. Here is a more elegant solution (with the meaning of a and b swapped from my original post).

-199a + 98b = 5

199 = 2 * 98 + 3
98 = 32 * 3 + 2
3 = 1 * 2 + 1

1 = 1 * 3 - 1* 2
1 = -1 * 98 + 33 * 3
1 = 33 * 199 - 67 * 98

5 = 165 * 199 - 335 * 98
5 = (-165) * (-199) - 335 * 98
5 = (-165 + 2 * 98) * (-199) - (335 - 2 * 199) * 98
5 = 31 * (-199) + 63 * 98

so a = 31, b = 63, and the original check is for $31.63

EOM

Piet Pols said:
At first sight this problem looks insolvable as you end up with one equation and two unknowns. However, you do not need brute force, since you have more information i.e. the number of dollars and the number of cents need to be natural numbers and the number of cents can never exceed 99.
Is this enough clue?
well yes , i guess i was missing this clue that cents can't exceed 100 , i was taking 2 variables x and y and then i was getting a diophoantine equation , well which has infinite solution , thank you , i was really curious, i got the answer now

1. What is the mystery of Brown's cheque?

The mystery of Brown's cheque refers to the case of an absent-minded clerk who mistakenly wrote the wrong amount on a cheque, causing confusion and potentially financial loss for the parties involved.

2. How did the clerk make the mistake?

The clerk was likely distracted or rushed while writing the cheque, leading to them accidentally writing the wrong amount. This could have been due to a variety of factors, such as a busy work environment or personal issues.

3. What were the consequences of the mistake?

The consequences of the mistake could vary depending on the situation. In some cases, the cheque may have been rejected by the bank, causing a delay in payment or even a bounced cheque fee. In other cases, the mistake may have gone unnoticed and no consequences occurred.

4. How can similar mistakes be prevented in the future?

To prevent similar mistakes, it is important for clerks to stay focused and double-check their work before submitting any important documents. Employers can also implement systems and procedures to catch and correct mistakes before they cause any issues.

5. Is this type of mistake common in the workplace?

While it may not be a common occurrence, mistakes like this can happen in any workplace. The key is to learn from these mistakes and take steps to prevent them in the future.