Creating black holes through relative motion

In summary: If you have a rocket and you accelerate it fast enough, the kinetic energy will be coming from an internal source and the system will remain a black hole, even if you slow down to zero relative to the object.
A.I.
My question is threefold, the second is based on the premise that the first is true, and the third is based on the other two.

1. As relative velocity increases, mass also increases, correct? In this case, could you accelerate away from an object to a velocity fast enough to make its schwartzchild radius larger than the object, creating a black hole?

2. Would this object then collapse in upon itself so that if you slowed down to zero speed relative to the object, it would still be a black hole?

3. Will the outward acceleration of the universe ultimately result in the formation of black holes due to the very high velocity of objects relative to one another?EDIT: one factor I did not account for, in retrospect, is the deformation of an object at high speeds-- I read a little bit about this, but I don't know exactly where to go with it. Black holes have no hair, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
A.I. said:
My question is threefold, the second is based on the premise that the first is true, and the third is based on the other two.

1. As relative velocity increases, mass also increases, correct? In this case, could you accelerate away from an object fast enough that its schwartzchild radius would be larger than the object, creating a black hole?

If the energy used to accelerate the object was already stored in the system to begin with, then that system was already a black hole to begin with. If the energy used to accelerate the object was added from some external source, then the system would become a black hole simply because you poured a massive amount of energy into it.

A.I. said:
2. Would this object then collapse in upon itself so that if you slowed down to zero speed relative to the object, it would still be a black hole?

Kinetic energy is not "in" the moving object. Its "in" the relative motion of two or more objects. Consider that you cannot extract kinetic energy from an object that happens to be moving relative to you unless you use some machine to extract it, and that machine must connect to the object AND connect to a massive object stationary to you.

A.I. said:
3. Will the outward acceleration of the universe ultimately result in the formation of black holes due to the very high velocity of objects relative to one another?

No, because of the previous answers.

What if the energy was from a rocket, stored in chemical potential energy? Then the kinetic energy to generate the motion would be coming from an internal source, so the total energy of the system would be constant, wouldn't it?

And then if you sustained that velocity, wouldn't the black hole collapse into a singularity or something?

I think you may have answered my question-- but I guess I don't exactly understand.

A black hole is a singularity, we just call it a black hole because we can't see it with the naked eye.

1. As relative velocity increases, mass also increases, correct? In this case, could you accelerate away from an object to a velocity fast enough to make its schwartzchild radius larger than the object, creating a black hole?

From Schwartzild's theory, yes, you can in theory create a black hole, however you would need immense mass and go close to/faster than the speed of light to make it able to collapse into a singularity.

If an object turns into a singularity, then it would remain a singularity, no matter what speed the observer holds; when you see a tree, even if you run around the tree as fast as you can, you will still see a tree, however you get very dizzy.

3. Will the outward acceleration of the universe ultimately result in the formation of black holes due to the very high velocity of objects relative to one another?

Unless all objects in space could accelerate faster than the speed of light, then yes, everything in the universe would be able to collapse into a singularity, however, this is so unlikely to happen as if Bill Gates were to die right now and pick me out of a random line of 6 billion people to receive all his money and all of his corperations.

1. Black hole IS NOT a singularity
2. Relative motion DOES NOT create black holes
For more info, check the difference between the invariant and the relativistic mass

Ah right I mis-spoke, I meant to say wouldn't the object collapse into a black hole, not wouldn't the black hole collapse into a singularity. WHoops

Anyway, I refined my question and did a google search for "relativistic mass and schwartzchild radius" and came away with a few pieces of literature.
I guess you can't take relativistic mass and use it in Newtonian physics :P I think that's where I went wrong.
Anyway thank you all for your help.

Anyway, I refined my question and did a google search for "relativistic mass and schwartzchild radius" and came away with a few pieces of literature.
Here's what I get:
Google said:
Did you mean: "relativistic mass and schwarzschild radius"

That's because I mis-spelled schwarzschild in my post.

1. What is relative motion and how does it create black holes?

Relative motion is the motion of an object in relation to another object. In the context of black holes, relative motion can create black holes by causing a massive object, such as a star, to collapse in on itself due to its own gravity. As the star collapses, its density and gravitational pull increase, eventually reaching a point where it becomes a black hole.

2. Can any type of relative motion create a black hole?

No, not all types of relative motion can create black holes. The relative motion must involve a massive object with a strong gravitational pull, such as a star. Additionally, the relative motion must cause the object to collapse in on itself, increasing its density and gravitational pull to the point of creating a black hole.

3. How fast does an object need to be moving for relative motion to create a black hole?

The speed of the object is not the determining factor in creating a black hole through relative motion. Rather, it is the gravitational pull and collapse of the object that leads to the creation of a black hole. However, the faster an object is moving, the more energy it has, which can contribute to the collapse and creation of a black hole.

4. Can black holes be created through relative motion in space?

Yes, black holes can be created through relative motion in space. In fact, many black holes are created through the collapse of massive stars in space. However, black holes can also be created through the collision of two or more objects, such as galaxies, which can also involve relative motion.

5. Is it possible for humans to create a black hole through relative motion?

No, it is not currently possible for humans to create a black hole through relative motion. The gravitational pull and energy required for such an event are far beyond our current capabilities. However, scientists are constantly studying and learning more about black holes and their creation through various means, including relative motion.