How Many Diffraction Orders Are Visible with a 5000 Lines/cm Grating?

• Thread starter clockworks204
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diffraction
In summary, when light with a wavelength of 632.8nm is incident upon a grating of 5000 lines/cm, there can be seen 7 beams, corresponding to 4 orders of diffraction. This is derived from the equation sinθ = mλ/d where m is the diffraction order, λ is the wavelength, and d is the grating spacing. With a value of 0.3164 for sinθ, the maximum value for m is 3, resulting in 3 beams on each side and one central beam.
clockworks204
1. Light of wavelength 632.8nm is normally incident upon a grating of 5000 lines/cm. How many different diffraction orders can be seen in transmission?

2. m(lambda)=d(sintheta)

3. According to my text, d=1/5000lines/cm = 2x10^-6m
and sintheta= lambda/d = 632.8x10^-9/ 2x10^6 = .3164
If I take sin^-1(.3164), I get 18 degrees.
From here, I don't know what to do because the answer is that 7 beams exist, corresponding to 4 orders, and I don't know how to get to that answer!

Physics news on Phys.org
sinθ = mλ/d.

λ/d = 0.3164. sinθ cannot be more than 1. So m should be 3. Hence there are 3 beams on either side and one central beam.

Thanks for your reply. Although I understand what you are saying about the 3 beams on each side with one central, how do you derive that explanation from 0.3164?

clockworks204 said:
Thanks for your reply. Although I understand what you are saying about the 3 beams on each side with one central, how do you derive that explanation from 0.3164?
sinθ = nλ/d. if n = 3
sinθ = 3*λ/d = 3*0.3164 = 0.9492< 1. So n cannot be more than 3.

Thanks, I understand now.

1. What is the meaning of "diffraction orders seen"?

"Diffraction orders seen" refers to the pattern of light that is produced when a beam of light passes through a diffraction grating or other diffracting object. This pattern is formed by the constructive and destructive interference of light waves as they pass through the diffracting object.

2. How is the number of diffraction orders seen determined?

The number of diffraction orders seen is determined by the number of slits or grooves in the diffraction grating, as well as the wavelength of the light passing through it. The formula nλ = d sinθ, where n is the order of the diffraction, λ is the wavelength, d is the distance between slits, and θ is the angle of diffraction, can be used to calculate the number of diffraction orders seen.

3. Can diffraction orders be seen with other types of waves besides light?

Yes, diffraction can occur with any type of wave, including sound waves, water waves, and even electron waves. However, the specific patterns and characteristics of the diffraction will vary depending on the properties of the wave.

4. What factors can affect the diffraction orders seen?

The number of diffraction orders seen can be affected by several factors, including the wavelength of the light, the distance between the diffracting object and the screen, the distance between slits in the diffraction grating, and the angle at which the light passes through the grating. Other factors such as the shape and size of the diffracting object can also play a role.

5. How is the phenomenon of diffraction orders seen used in scientific research?

Diffraction orders seen can be used in a variety of scientific research fields, including optics, materials science, and structural biology. By studying the patterns of diffraction, scientists can gain valuable information about the properties and structures of materials, such as their crystal structure and atomic spacing. Diffraction is also used in techniques such as X-ray crystallography and electron microscopy to determine the structures of complex molecules and materials at the atomic level.