Where can I find fellow math enthusiasts for online correspondence?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of finding people who share an interest in mathematics and are around the same age to have a correspondence with through emails. Some members express concerns about starting conversations with strangers on the internet and suggest creating dummy email accounts for safety. Others express interest in having a mathematical correspondence and clarify their age requirements for potential partners. One member also mentions being ashamed of their lack of knowledge in comparison to others in the forum.
s.hamid.ef
How can I find people who are interested in correspondence on mathematics and are also around my age on the net? By correspondence I mean emails.
I can't see many people interested in mathematics on popular social networks, or if there are, it's not possible to find them through searching.

I'm 19 and an undergraduate in maths.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would warn against starting up e-mail conversations with complete strangers on the internet. If anyone does, they should create a dummy e-mail account just for this purpose and never give out any personal information.

Another reason Greg should start up that dating site :)

ivan92 said:
another reason greg should start up that dating site :)
yes!

I'm always happy to start a "mathematical correspondence"!
I'm currently 20 years old, PM me if you want to chat

I would also like to have a mathematics correspondence. It could be fun :smile: PM me if you want.

warning: I don't know that much though!

wisvuze said:
warning: I don't know that much though!

Yes you do :smile:

micromass said:
Yes you do :smile:

haha.. :shy:

I think it can be better for you to be "out-classed" by others though, makes it easier for you to learn!

Hi everyone,

Thank you Evo for the warning. I've had penpals to improve my language skills and most of them have turned out to be very nice people. But unfortunately they at best didn't mind talking about mathematics.

Ivan92, I'm not really looking for dating or anything similar. And I have an age requirement only because I like to discuss ideas with someone who knows roughly as much as I know. It would be great to work on interesting problems and read books together. If someone is much younger or older than me, then they usually know much less or more than I. Sure I can get my questions answered this way, but that's not what I'm looking for either. I hope this clarifies my point.

micromass, I'm afraid you know too much for my purposes, but I hope we can be friends here in PF at least. :wink:

And wisvuze, I'll PM you to see if we have anything to talk about.:approve:

Thank you all for your posts.

I am 16 and I would like to do this. Whenever I talk to people on a chatroom or suspicious-looking site I always use a dummy e-mail address used for that kind of thing with a made-up name.

I would like to do it with people my age but the people my age are going to be starting Year 12 next year and learning about basic differentiation and sequences but I have covered these topics 2-3 years ago. As such I wouldn't mind doing it with people a bit older.

Hi,
I'm a bit ashamed to say this, but reading some of your posts in PF, I've realized I need to learn a lot more before I can have any useful discussion with any of you. Sorry for the inconvenience and I hope these posts will be of benefit to someone looking for something similar.

Bests.

1. What is a mathematical pen-friend?

A mathematical pen-friend is someone who shares an interest in mathematics and is willing to communicate and exchange ideas through written correspondence.

2. How do I find a mathematical pen-friend?

There are various online communities and forums dedicated to connecting people with similar mathematical interests, such as Math Overflow and Math Stack Exchange. You can also reach out to local math clubs or organizations to see if they have any pen-friend programs.

3. What are the benefits of having a mathematical pen-friend?

Having a mathematical pen-friend can provide a new perspective on mathematical concepts and problems. It also allows for the exchange of ideas and the opportunity to learn from someone with a different background or expertise.

4. How often should I communicate with my mathematical pen-friend?

The frequency of communication is up to you and your pen-friend. Some people may choose to correspond weekly, while others may prefer monthly or even less frequently. It is important to establish a communication schedule that works for both parties.

5. Can I have more than one mathematical pen-friend?

Yes, you can have multiple pen-friends with whom you communicate about different mathematical topics or problems. However, it is important to make sure you have enough time to dedicate to each pen-friend to maintain a meaningful and consistent correspondence.