Ionization Energy: Across Period or Metal to Non-Metal?

In summary, ionization energy is the energy required to remove an electron from an atom. It increases from left to right across a period and from metals to non-metals. However, there are exceptions to these trends, as seen with hydrogen having a higher ionization energy than some non-metals and oxygen having a lower ionization energy than its neighbor nitrogen. Ultimately, the question may not have a clear-cut answer.
khurram usman
ionization energy...?

i got a mcq in my test:

Ionization energy increases:
a) across a period
b) down a group
c) from metal to non-metal
d) all of above

i am confused between option 'a' and 'c'
what should be the right answer?

Physics news on Phys.org

well if ionization energy is the energy required to remove and electron, then what do you think?

in other words, what exactly are you confused about?

dacruick said:
well if ionization energy is the energy required to remove and electron, then what do you think?

in other words, what exactly are you confused about?

well as we move from left to right across a period then more energy is required to remove electron: option A
and similarly as we go on from metals to non metals then also ionization energy increases as non metals lose electron with difficulty: option C

above two options seem similar ...what should i do?

Hmm I see. Well does the ionization energy increase from every metal to every non metal? I admit that I'm not positive about this(were takling about electrons), but it seems likely that some metals hang onto electrons more than some non-metals.

EDIT: Ahh I found something. Hydrogen is a metal, and it has a higher ionization energy than a handful of non metals. So go with A

EDIT #2: I've also found that Oxygen has a lower ionization than its neighbour to the left, Nitrogen. So it seems that there are exceptions to both A) and C), but they both seem to be right in terms of trends. My final verdict is that the question could be better :smile:

Last edited:

The correct answer is option a) across a period. Ionization energy is the energy required to remove an electron from an atom. As we move across a period, the number of protons in the nucleus increases, resulting in a stronger attraction between the nucleus and the electrons. This makes it more difficult to remove an electron, hence the ionization energy increases. On the other hand, moving from a metal to a non-metal does not necessarily have a consistent trend in terms of ionization energy. It depends on the specific elements and their electronic configurations. Therefore, the answer to the question "Ionization Energy: Across Period or Metal to Non-Metal?" would be across a period.

1. What is ionization energy?

Ionization energy is the amount of energy required to remove an electron from an atom or molecule, resulting in the formation of an ion.

2. How does ionization energy vary across a period in the periodic table?

Ionization energy generally increases across a period in the periodic table. This is because as you move from left to right, the number of protons in the nucleus increases, making it more difficult to remove an electron due to the increased attraction between the nucleus and the outermost electrons.

3. Why do metals have lower ionization energies compared to non-metals?

Metals tend to have lower ionization energies because they have fewer valence electrons and larger atomic radii, making it easier for the outermost electrons to be removed. Non-metals, on the other hand, have higher ionization energies due to their smaller atomic radii and larger number of valence electrons.

4. How does the shielding effect impact ionization energy?

The shielding effect, also known as the screening effect, occurs when inner electrons shield the outer electrons from the full attraction of the nucleus. This means that the outer electrons are easier to remove, resulting in lower ionization energies.

5. How does the trend in ionization energy across a period affect the reactivity of elements?

The trend in ionization energy across a period plays a significant role in the reactivity of elements. As ionization energy increases, it becomes more difficult for an atom to lose an electron and become a positive ion. This makes the element less reactive as it is less likely to form chemical bonds with other elements.