Word Problems with Parabolas

• Thread starter darshanpatel
  • Start date
In summary: Yes for part (b). .1 is how far the road is below the center at x=16. The problem is asking "How far from the center of the road is the road surface .1 feet lower then in the middle?". I wouldn't plug in .3 for y.
darshanpatel

Homework Statement

Roads are often designed with parabolic surfaces to allow rain to drain off. A particular road is that is 32 feet wide is .4 feet higher in in the center then on the sides.

a) Find an equation if the parabola that models the road surface. (Assume that the orgin is at the center of the road.)

b) How far from the center of the road is the road surface .1 feet lower then in the middle?

Homework Equations

-None-

The Attempt at a Solution

x^2=4py
x^2= 4(.4)y
x^2=1.6y

^part (a) Correct?

x^2=1.6(.3)
x^2=.48
x = .693 feet away from the center

^Part (b) -Correct?

I kind of have a basis but I am a little wary about the answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
The form x^2=4py is fine. If the origin is the center of the road then a point at the center of the road is x=0, y=0 and x is the distance from the center of the road and y is the elevation of the road. What should y be if x is 16?

y=.4

but what next?

darshanpatel said:
y=.4

but what next?

Use that to solve for p. p isn't equal to 0.4.

Last edited:
so like x^2=4py

x^2=4p(.4)
(1/.4)x^2=4p

4p=1/.4
p=1/1.6

x^2=4(1/1.6)y
x^2=6.4y

is that right?
becuase the first time i thought that (0, .4) was the focus, and p=.4 from the focus...

darshanpatel said:
so like x^2=4py

x^2=4p(.4)
(1/.4)x^2=4p

4p=1/.4
p=1/1.6

x^2=4(1/1.6)y
x^2=6.4y

is that right?
becuase the first time i thought that (0, .4) was the focus, and p=.4 from the focus...

(1/.4)x^2=4p. x=16. What's p? It's not 1.6 either.

p=160

so the equation for the graph would be x^2=640y?

and plugging in .3 for y
would get me answer to part (b)
13.856 feet from center?

darshanpatel said:
p=160

so the equation for the graph would be x^2=640y?

and plugging in .3 for y
would get me answer to part (b)
13.856 feet from center?

Yes for the first part. .4 is how far the road is below the center at x=16. The problem is asking "How far from the center of the road is the road surface .1 feet lower then in the middle?". I wouldn't plug in .3 for y.

oh, i was thinking of like where is the road only .3 feet or whatever,

do i plug .1 in?

Solved it for .1 and got 8

darshanpatel said:
oh, i was thinking of like where is the road only .3 feet or whatever,

do i plug .1 in?

Solved it for .1 and got 8

I really don't like responses like "do i plug .1 in?". Do you or don't you? Sketch a picture of the road surface and tell me.

What do you mean you don't like them? I wasn't trying to be rude or anything.
You do plug in .1

darshanpatel said:
What do you mean you don't like them? I wasn't trying to be rude or anything.
You do plug in .1

I didn't think you were trying to be rude or anything. I just like hearing "You do plug in .1" better than the "?" thing. Yes, you are right. And for the equation of the road surface they might like x^2=(-640)y better than x^2=640y. x^2=640y is sort of 'upside down'.

x^2=640y is upside down?

I don't understand.

darshanpatel said:
x^2=640y is upside down?

I don't understand.
It's upside down relative to the road surface. The parabola above opens up - you want a parabola that opens down, so that water will drain off the road. That's what Dick meant by "upside down."

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, thank you, that makes a lot more sense, how would you show the work so that the number comes out to x^2=-640y?

Would you use -.4 when making the equation becuase it is 'upside down' now?

But would it matter because the answer comes out to the same thing no matter what?

Last edited:
darshanpatel said:
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, thank you, that makes a lot more sense, how would you show the work so that the number comes out to x^2=-640y?

Would you use -.4 when making the equation becuase it is 'upside down' now?
Start the work you did earlier with x2 = -4py (with p > 0) to get a parabola that opens down.
darshanpatel said:
But would it matter because the answer comes out to the same thing no matter what?

Can you help me with how the graph would look?

It's not for my homework, its just so I can understand it.

How would the parabola open and where?

Also to get part (b)

would you plug in -.1 for y and solve?

Becuase when I just plugged in .1 it would give me a negative answer

darshanpatel said:
Can you help me with how the graph would look?
How do you think the graph should look? You want the water to drain off the road, so it should have the high point at the center of the road's cross section.

This means you want a parabola that opens down. If the cross section of the road looked like a parabola that opened up, water would collect in the middle of the road, which isn't good.

Do as Dick suggested many posts ago by putting the vertex of the parabola at the origin. The left and right edges of the road will be at (-16, -.4) and (16, -.4).

If you substitute the x and y values of either point into x2 = -4py, you should be able to solve for p, which will be a positive number.
darshanpatel said:
It's not for my homework, its just so I can understand it.

How would the parabola open and where?

Also to get part (b)

would you plug in -.1 for y and solve?

Becuase when I just plugged in .1 it would give me a negative answer

If the high point of the road is at (0, 0), every other point will have y values that are negative. You should get two x-values when y = -.1.

What is a parabola?

A parabola is a type of curve that is created by the graph of a quadratic function. It is a symmetrical curve that can either open upwards or downwards, depending on the coefficients of the function.

How do I solve word problems involving parabolas?

To solve word problems involving parabolas, you will need to use the equation of a parabola, which is y = ax^2 + bx + c. From the given information in the word problem, you can set up and solve a system of equations to find the values of a, b, and c. Once you have these values, you can graph the parabola and use it to solve the problem.

What are some real-life applications of parabolas?

Parabolas have many real-life applications, such as in the design of bridges, arches, and satellite dishes. They are also used in the study of projectile motion, such as the trajectory of a thrown ball or the path of a rocket.

How are parabolas related to other conic sections?

Parabolas are one type of conic section, along with circles, ellipses, and hyperbolas. They are all created by the intersection of a plane and a cone, with the angle of the plane determining the shape of the conic section. Parabolas have a plane that is parallel to one side of the cone.

What are the different forms of the equation of a parabola?

There are three different forms of the equation of a parabola: standard form, vertex form, and intercept form. Standard form is y = ax^2 + bx + c, vertex form is y = a(x-h)^2 + k, and intercept form is y = a(x-p)(x-q). These forms are useful for different purposes, such as graphing or finding the vertex.