Confused about using rounding off numbers in physics

In summary, Continuing to use the exact number in the calculator for the latter part is more accurate, but if the number provided is rounded off, the final answer should still be accurate.
jayadds
Hi,

Let's say that a question is separated into two parts in which the latter part requires using the answer from the first part. Now, do I use that rounded off answer in the latter part or do I continue to use the exact number on my calculator for the latter part?

Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi jayadds! :smile:

don't round it off completely, leave one or two extra significant figures

(you may need more, you may not need any … you'll find out when you get to the end :wink:)

tiny-tim said:
hi jayadds! :smile:

don't round it off completely, leave one or two extra significant figures

(you may need more, you may not need any … you'll find out when you get to the end :wink:)

Say that I did round it off to two significant figures, should I use THAT rounded off number or should I continue to use the "unrounded" number in the calculator for the next part of the question?

i think i'd do it both ways, just to be on the safe side …

though i expect that they'd have set the question so that it makes no difference! :smile:

Usually I keep the numbers un-rounded until the end,

Then the rounding depends on the number of significant figures they have provided in the question.

If they have a question like, evaluate xy, x = 1.1 and y=1.23 you would get 1.353 but round it to 2 sig figs to get 1.4.

That's how they pushed us to do it in my first year physics anyway

I agree with physicsjock. For example, if you have to evaluate xyz, where z = xy, y = 3x and x = 1.77 you should only round your your answer to three numbers at the *end* of the exercise. That's one of the reasons why it's most practical to use symbolic notation until the very end.

When you take an extra digit or two at the end of your answer and use that in your calculation you final answer should be accurate. You can then round off this answer to the necessary significant figures.

Using a rounded answer will give you a different result most of the time.

jayadds said:
Let's say that a question is separated into two parts in which the latter part requires using the answer from the first part. Now, do I use that rounded off answer in the latter part or do I continue to use the exact number on my calculator for the latter part?

When I write down the answer for the first part, I round it off appropriately; but I continue my calculations for the latter part using the unrounded result in the calculator.

For purposes of repeating the calculations in order to check them, it may be helpful to write down a couple of extra digits for the intermediate answer(s), but you should distinguish them clearly from the "official" digits of the answer, or write that version of the answer somewhere else.

Rounding off numbers is a non-linear operation. It is best to avoid this sort of thing - particularly when you follow it by subtracting two nearly equal large numbers. Rounding those numbers (one up and one down, perhaps) could turn the calculated relationship completely wrong!

1. What is rounding off numbers in physics?

Rounding off numbers in physics is the process of simplifying or approximating a numerical value to a more manageable or easily understandable number. This is done by removing unnecessary or insignificant digits after a certain decimal point.

2. Why is rounding off numbers important in physics?

Rounding off numbers is important in physics because it helps to avoid complex and lengthy calculations, making it easier to analyze and interpret data. It also reduces the chances of errors and helps to maintain accuracy in calculations.

3. How do you round off numbers in physics?

To round off numbers in physics, you need to follow the rules of significant figures. These rules state that you should keep the same number of significant figures in the rounded number as there are in the original number. You also need to pay attention to the rounding convention, which is to round up if the digit after the last significant figure is 5 or higher, and round down if it is 4 or lower.

4. Can rounding off numbers affect the accuracy of a physics experiment?

Yes, rounding off numbers can affect the accuracy of a physics experiment. This is because rounding off introduces a level of uncertainty in the final result. It is important to choose an appropriate level of precision when rounding off numbers to minimize the impact on the accuracy of the experiment.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when rounding off numbers in physics?

One common mistake to avoid when rounding off numbers in physics is to round off intermediate values in a calculation. It is best to carry out the calculation using the full number of significant figures and then round off the final result. Another mistake is to round off numbers too early in a multi-step calculation, as this can lead to significant errors in the final result.