Tight Binding Hamiltonian and Potential (U)

by Arya_
Tags: binding, hamiltonian, potential, tight
Arya_
Feb16-14, 11:35 PM
P: 8
Hi All,

Greetings !

Here is what I wish to know. Specifying a tight binding hamiltonian requires values of potential (U). Consider a 3d solid. If I have potential profile in x direction (U1, U2, U3...so on) can I directly plug in these U values into the tight binding hamiltonian or do I need to do some transformation (like change of space etc) before I can plug in 'potential values vs X' into Hamiltonian.

Thanks,
-Arya
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Researchers develop scalable methods for manufacturing metamaterials
Researchers find tin selenide shows promise for efficiently converting waste heat into electrical energy
After 13 years, progress in pitch-drop experiment (w/ video)
Douasing
Mar15-14, 04:14 AM
P: 22
Yes,I think you can directly plug in these V(x) values into the tight binding hamiltonian.Because potential function meets the superposition principle.
DrDu
Mar17-14, 02:11 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,369
The tight binding hamiltonian is an empirical effective hamiltonian which is parametrized in such a way as to give correct energies for the lowest eigenstates of the hamiltonian. Excited atomic states also make a contribution, also to the potential. So there is no 1 to 1 correspondence between some potential in the full hamiltonian and the U's appearing in the tight binding approximation.

Register to reply