Poincaré invariant action of a point particle

In summary, the Poincaré invariant action is proportional to the proper time along the world line, and the negative mass comes into the equation because the particle is moving away from the observer. The term in brackets is square rooted because the derivative is taking the square of a negative number. The pp subscript comes from Poincaré's theorem, which states that a Poincaré invariant action is proportional to the proper time along a world line.
alfredblase
I am an MPhys graduate currently reading Joseph Polchinski’s, String Theory, Vol. 1. Unsurprisingly I’m stuck on the first real bit of maths… :p
I quote from page 10, heh:
“The simplest Poincaré invariant action that does not depend on the parametrization would be proportional to the proper time along the world line,
S_pp = -m∫dτ(- δX¬μ/δτ δX_μ/δτ )^1/2 “
Where X¬μ is a covariant tensor of time dependent equations describing the position of the particle in all space time dimensions and X_μ is the contravariant tensor. (I don't know how to write subscripts or superscripts in this btw).
Now I understand basic tensor rules, and know that a Poincare invariant action is given by: dS = L dt. My questions are: why does the negative mass come into the equation? ; why does the negative in front of the derivative come into it?; why is the term in brackets square rooted?; and where does the pp subscript come from? Perhaps someone could point me to an article or web page that could help, or if you know the answers and would be so kind, perhaps explain this equation to me.
Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I replied to your other thread in Classical Physics.

Thankyou very much for your speedy reply. I'm happy with the negative in the brackets now and the dimensionally necessary m. I'm looking into the other points you mentioned as I write, but I strongly suspect you have given me much needed pointers with the word "metric", the kinetic energy equation and the word "Lagrangian". :) Hopefully my physics brain will warm up once the cobwebs accumulated over long disuse have been brushed away, heh. Thanks again.

P.S. should this thread be in the homework or in the classical physics section?

Let's continue the discussion here in the homework section since this is technically a textbook question. I posted a few edits to my other post that you might want to look at, but I will post here from now on.

Ok this is my attempt at the question after digging up my old General Relativity notes: (p¬μ is the covariant momentum vector)
S_pp=∫L dτ
Dimensionally the energy of the particle, L = (p¬μ p_μ * X¬μ;τ X_μ;τ)^1/2
which leads to: L=(-p¬μ p_μ c^2)^1/2
as all objects travel at the speed of light in space time.
Since we work in hbar = c = 1 units then
L=-m(-X¬μ;τ X_μ;τ)^1/2
and so we have the answer!
Not sure whether I was fine finding the Lagrangian in the first instance through dimensinal analysis though... I would appreciate if someone would tell me whether that was ok or not. But I guess it must be no? if it came up with the "right" answer, I dunno...Thanks :).

Last edited:

What is the concept of Poincaré invariance in physics?

The concept of Poincaré invariance in physics refers to the idea that the laws of physics should remain unchanged under transformations of space and time, specifically Lorentz transformations. This is a fundamental principle of special relativity, which states that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers moving at constant velocities.

What is a point particle in physics?

A point particle in physics is a theoretical concept used to model a particle with no spatial extent, meaning it has no size or volume. This allows for simplification in calculations and models, and is often used to describe fundamental particles such as electrons and quarks.

What is the significance of Poincaré invariance in the action of a point particle?

The Poincaré invariance in the action of a point particle indicates that the laws of physics governing the behavior of the particle are consistent with the principles of special relativity. This ensures that the laws of physics remain unchanged regardless of the observer's frame of reference, making it a fundamental principle in modern physics.

How is Poincaré invariance related to energy and momentum conservation?

Poincaré invariance is closely related to energy and momentum conservation, as it ensures that these fundamental physical quantities are conserved in all inertial reference frames. This allows for the accurate prediction of particle behavior and interactions, and is a cornerstone of modern physics theories such as quantum field theory.

What are the implications of violating Poincaré invariance in a physical system?

If Poincaré invariance is violated in a physical system, it would indicate a fundamental flaw in our understanding of the laws of physics. This could potentially lead to discrepancies in experimental results and could challenge the validity of well-established theories. Therefore, maintaining Poincaré invariance is crucial in ensuring the consistency and accuracy of our understanding of the physical world.