Views on "Victims vs Criminals: Who Should We Care About?

• Thread starter ruby_duby
  • Start date
In summary, the statement is popular because it is easier for the rich to get away with crimes and the victims of crime have to go through a lot of trauma in court.
ruby_duby
hi
i was wondering what views people have about the following statement:
"you should be more concerned with the victims of crime rather than the criminals."

i believe that we should be concerned about both the criminals and victims of crime. what do you think?:shy:

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on the interpretation. I see no problem with either. I think the victims are more important, but I also think society should be concerned with criminals in order to stop them from commiting more crimes.

If you don't concern yourself with the criminals then there will just be that many more victims.

TheStatutoryApe said:
If you don't concern yourself with the criminals then there will just be that many more victims.

Who then are more likely to donate campaign funds to those people that believe we should focus on the victims. its a vicious cycle, eh?

ruby_duby said:
hi
i was wondering what views people have about the following statement:
"you should be more concerned with the victims of crime rather than the criminals."
i believe that we should be concerned about both the criminals and victims of crime. what do you think?:shy:
Usually, this has to do with whose rights are more important after a crime has already been committed than the issue of crime prevention. There should be a balance rather than one or the other.

The statement is popular because, currently, there isn't a balance if the accused has a well funded defense team. The rights of a person accused of a crime are taken to such an extreme that prosecuting a crime can be almost as traumatic as the crime itself.

Of course, the cirumstances where criminal rights are most likely to trample on the victim's rights are more indicative of the real problem. The outcome of trials is determined more by the amount of money the accused has than by the justice the constitution envisions. The poor are more likely to be falsely convicted - the rich are more likley to be wrongly acquitted.

I'm curious as to why the thread was titled "attitude and lifestyle." Doesn't seem on point.

zoobyshoe said:
I'm curious as to why the thread was titled "attitude and lifestyle." Doesn't seem on point.
I just figured the OP decided to pre-emptively hijack his own thread with his opening post before anyone else got the chance.

That's not very sporting, by the way. Even if you hit the trifecta (initiate, hijack, and kill the same thread), it will be a tainted score. :rofl:

Last edited:
BobG said:
I just figured the OP decided to pre-emptively hijack his own thread with his opening post before anyone else got the chance.
Wow. People are getting really devious around here.

1. What is the difference between victims and criminals?

Victims are individuals who have been harmed or suffered loss as a result of another person's actions. They are often considered innocent and vulnerable. Criminals, on the other hand, are individuals who have committed a crime and are responsible for their actions. They may have intentionally caused harm or violated laws.

2. Who should be given more attention and support, victims or criminals?

This is a highly debated topic and there is no clear answer. Some argue that victims deserve more attention and support as they have experienced trauma and injustice. Others argue that criminals should be given more attention and support in order to prevent future crimes and rehabilitate them.

3. How does society typically view victims and criminals?

In general, society tends to sympathize with victims and see them as innocent and deserving of support. Criminals, on the other hand, are often stigmatized and viewed as dangerous or morally corrupt individuals.

4. Should the justice system prioritize the needs of victims or criminals?

The justice system aims to balance the needs of both victims and criminals. While victims deserve justice and support, the justice system also has a responsibility to rehabilitate criminals and prevent future crimes. Therefore, both should be prioritized to some extent.

5. How can we address the issue of victims vs criminals in a fair and just manner?

It is important to recognize the rights and needs of both victims and criminals. This can be achieved through implementing restorative justice practices, where both parties are given the opportunity to communicate and address the harm that has been caused. Additionally, providing support and resources for both victims and criminals can help address the issue in a fair and just manner.