A car moves with constant velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about constant speed and velocity of a car moving around a circular track. One person believes that speed can be constant even if the direction is changing, while another points out that the car's velocity is constantly changing due to acceleration. They also mention that some quizzes on the forum may need to be reviewed and fixed.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Question: Which of the following statements could be true?

a) A car moves with a constant speed around a circular track.

b)A car moves with a constant velocity around a circular track.

This is question #2 from the kinmatics quiz link on this forum.

It marked me wrong for choosing A.

But since speed does not imply direction, I don't see why it's speed can't be constant.

How can the answer be B? If the track is circular, the car is accelerating and therefore changing its direction all the time. One moment it is doing 50mph North. A few moments later it is doing 50 mph South. It's velocity is constantly changing.

Physics news on Phys.org
The quizes from the forum need to be reviewed and fixed. I think the kinematics one was one where no one got over 60%...

tony873004 said:
This is question #2 from the kinmatics quiz link on this forum.

It marked me wrong for choosing A.

But since speed does not imply direction, I don't see why it's speed can't be constant.
You are correct, of course. As Pengwuino says, some of those quizes need to be overhauled.

I was in a bit of a fluster over how much I'd forgotten until I convinced myself that the quizzes had to be wrong :wink:

I do think that there were a few questions on some of the tests that I truly did miss though, but that's fine since it serves to reveal areas where my understanding is weak.

1. What is constant velocity?

Constant velocity is the rate at which an object moves in a straight line without changing its speed or direction. It is often represented by the symbol v and measured in meters per second (m/s).

2. How is constant velocity different from acceleration?

Acceleration refers to a change in an object's velocity, either in terms of speed or direction. Constant velocity means that there is no change in the object's velocity, so there is no acceleration.

3. Can a car have constant velocity while turning?

No, a car cannot have constant velocity while turning because turning involves a change in direction, which means there is a change in velocity. In order for a car to have constant velocity, it must be moving in a straight line.

4. What factors can affect a car's constant velocity?

The main factor that affects a car's constant velocity is the presence of external forces, such as friction or air resistance. These forces can slow down or speed up the car, causing a change in velocity. Other factors, such as the weight of the car or the condition of the road, can also impact its constant velocity.

5. How is constant velocity measured?

Constant velocity can be measured using a speedometer or by calculating the distance traveled over time. In order to accurately measure constant velocity, the object must be moving in a straight line without any changes in speed or direction.