Is There a Solution to Fake Windows XP Software?

In summary, the computer store installed a pirated copy of Windows on Jake's computer. He is not sure whether to click on the balloon or not.
peejake
Fake Windows Xp software...

hey guys,
i have had my computer for 4 years now and due to a recent crash due to virus attack i had to delete all the stuff on my computer and get windows reinstalled at a local computer store as i did not have enough money to buy the genuine software. A year has gone by now and i get this message that says i may be a "victim of Counterfeit" as soon as i start my computer up. Following which i get this message to click on a balloon to solve the issue. I am not sure whether i should click on it or not because i don't want to get caught...:grumpy:. Can anyone tell me is there any other way of solving this problem...? Is there anyother inexpensive way out...? Do i have click on the balloon>>>>??:mad:

thanks
cheers
jake

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
If you purchased the computer with Windows already on it, then you're already paid for Windows, and are not using it illegally. Don't worry.

- Warren

Thanks for replying,
But i want to know why do it get the message that says that i might be a "Victim of Counterfeiting software". Are you also saying that i just click on the balloon to solve the problem??

Thanks
jake

peejake said:
and get windows reinstalled at a local computer store as i did not have enough money to buy the genuine software.
So what did they install exactly?

You would still have to pay them the money for a Windows XP license...unless they used a pirated version in which case they're not running a very honest (or legal) business.

Edit: Did they just reinstall the copy of windows that came with your PC?

If it's just a message then I don't see the big problem. Does it still allow your computer to run properly after you close the message? It could just be some sort of virus or malicious program that's causing it, especially since it's been a year since you installed Windows. Try running an anti-virus scan and an adware/malware scan.

I would also try searching Google for the exact phrase that pops up to see if other people have received the same message and if it's actually coming from windows or some other program.

Last edited:
I suggest you click on it. Local store should have also installed original copy of windowsxp on your pc. If not, they are the one who will get into trouble. Or if you don't want to bother with the bubble. Turn it off in Services. I don't quite remember exactly how it was but I think I'll be able to help you. Can you just write the exact message you see, or take a screenshot and post in?

There is also simpler and cheaper solution to solve the matter of viruses and the like. Use firefox (doesn't provide 100% guarantee of not getting it, however increases chances that you will not.) Or, install Linux!

Microsoft recently released some Windows updates that will detect if you are [potentially] using a couterfit/pirated version of windows.
It checks to see if your product ID code is "valid" [not really the right word I want to use] or not.
Normally, if you don't have a legit seriel product code, they won't let you download and install updates, but they were ever-so-nice by allowing everyone to have this update.

Near as I can tell, at this point, all it does is pop up with a little balloon and stay in your task bar. It probably sends some information to Microsoft as well, so you might be on some list of where they will send their anti-piracy ninjas.

If you do own a legit copy of Windows, you should be OK though (in theory).
However, when the computer store reinstalled windows, they might have used the same seriel number for use as they did for 12 other people (or more) and Microsoft knows this. In that case, the computer store is just asking to get sued. It might be better if you re-re-installed windows yourself with the restore CD you should have gotten with your computer.

dav2008 said:
So what did they install exactly?

You would still have to pay them the money for a Windows XP license...unless they used a pirated version in which case they're not running a very honest (or legal) business.

Edit: Did they just reinstall the copy of windows that came with your PC?

If it's just a message then I don't see the big problem. Does it still allow your computer to run properly after you close the message? It could just be some sort of virus or malicious program that's causing it, especially since it's been a year since you installed Windows. Try running an anti-virus scan and an adware/malware scan.

I would also try searching Google for the exact phrase that pops up to see if other people have received the same message and if it's actually coming from windows or some other program.

Thankyou all for replying,

My computer was not bought all assembled but i remember buying it in bits and pieces and then getting a tech to assemble it...He did it at home and he installed the CD's. By the way i don't remember buying an original copy of windows xp from them...They just installed windows using a copy of their own fake cd's i guess...By the way this was in India and now am in New Zealand.

Anyway the guys here in NZ installed windows Xp and i remember paying them 30 bucks for it...Im not sure whether they used fake software or not...I will try taking a picture or two and post them as heartless suggested...

As for the virus i don't think i have any virus at all as i got Norton Installed...There seems to be no problem about that at all...:smile:

-jake

you have a cracked version of XP...

Anttech said:
you have a cracked version of XP...

Yea it looks like it...Anyway heartless i have taken some picks of the actual thing.

NewPics003.jpg

NewPics002.jpg

NewPics001.jpg

Tell me what you think of the problem...

thanks
jake

You know, you can just hit the "PrtScr/Sys Rq" button on your keyboard and paste the image into any image editing program such as MSPaint.

dav2008 said:
You know, you can just hit the "PrtScr/Sys Rq" button on your keyboard and paste the image into any image editing program such as MSPaint.

yea i know but the thing is I am not using the internet on that computer at the moment...im using my laptop now because the other one does not work that well...it takes ages to start up as well...:frown:

i rather do it this way

-jake

peejake said:
hey guys,
i have had my computer for 4 years now and due to a recent crash due to virus attack i had to delete all the stuff on my computer and get windows reinstalled at a local computer store as i did not have enough money to buy the genuine software.

Could be that the Windows they used is the Windows disc from the computer store.

Even if they used a disc of theirs I am pretty sure that they had to enter the code in order to work install the software properly...so why does it have to come up with a message like that...? i don't understand...

dav2008 said:
Would that work on the Welcome Screen?

Curious3141 said:
Nope don't think so...

Anyway.. there isn't really much u can do.. except fork out cash for the real thing or be creative in other ways...

Anttech said:
Nope don't think so...

Anyway.. there isn't really much u can do.. except fork out cash for the real thing or be creative in other ways...

Actually, that does work on the welcome screen...

Curious3141 said:
I just tried it and it looks like you have to press Shift+Prt Scr.

dav2008 said:
I just tried it and it looks like you have to press Shift+Prt Scr.

Really? I just did it normally.:uhh:

Hey does it really matter guys, i sent the pictures already and you know what I am talking about...Its just another opportunity to make use of my new digital camera. I think i have hardly taken a couple of snaps which seems pretty less when taken into account that i bought it a year ago...:rofl:

-Jake

I believe windows update only validates the software if you download the updates manually . If you allow windows to download and install the updates automatically it dosent look to see if your software has a vailid serial number or not.

And the reason being i suppose is because its better for microsoft and all the people running legitamate software if the majority of the machine's connected to the internet have the most recent security updates installed.

hey guess what?

If i don't bother the balloon it does not bother me at all...

i don't have to bother about it anymore...:smile:

Thanks for all your help

jake

peejake said:
hey guess what?

If i don't bother the balloon it does not bother me at all...

i don't have to bother about it anymore...:smile:

Thanks for all your help

jake
the problem is... i don't think u can run windows update anymore. I don't know if this is illegal or not... but if u use Bit torrent download a genuine validation from www.isohunt.com. i think it will stop it
ps: i don't know if it the right thing to do or not... I am not aware of pirated/copyrights thing alot... i think because I am in Australia that why.. every1 do it hehehe

ekinnike said:
the problem is... i don't think u can run windows update anymore. I don't know if this is illegal or not... but if u use Bit torrent download a genuine validation from www.isohunt.com. i think it will stop it
ps: i don't know if it the right thing to do or not... I am not aware of pirated/copyrights thing alot... i think because I am in Australia that why.. every1 do it hehehe

hey thanks for that,
ill check it out...im in new zealand and believe me its worse here :rofl:

jake

1. What is "Fake Windows XP software"?

"Fake Windows XP software" refers to unauthorized copies of the Windows XP operating system that are illegally sold or distributed. These copies may contain malware or other malicious code and do not include the necessary updates and support from Microsoft.

2. How can I identify fake Windows XP software?

Fake Windows XP software may have incorrect packaging, missing or altered product keys, or may not come with a Certificate of Authenticity. It is important to purchase software from authorized retailers and always check for the Microsoft hologram on the packaging.

3. Is it illegal to use fake Windows XP software?

Yes, it is illegal to use fake Windows XP software. It is considered software piracy and can result in fines and legal consequences. It is important to purchase legitimate software to ensure the safety and security of your device.

4. Can fake Windows XP software harm my computer?

Yes, fake Windows XP software can potentially harm your computer. These illegitimate copies may contain viruses, spyware, or other malicious software that can compromise your device's security and damage your files. It is important to only use authorized and legitimate software to protect your computer.

5. How can I avoid purchasing fake Windows XP software?

To avoid purchasing fake Windows XP software, you should only purchase software from authorized retailers and check for the Microsoft hologram on the packaging. You can also verify the authenticity of your software by using the Microsoft Product Activation tool or contacting Microsoft directly.