Have you volunteered as a tutor?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tutor
In summary: I don't think it would be a good idea for me to tutor the disadvantaged or disabled. I don't think I could handle the emotional stress.
Loren Booda
Have any of you scientists ever volunteered to teach the disabled or disadvantaged?

Science news on Phys.org
Well, I tutored students and teachers in high school regarding computers and the internet. i would love to volenteer more.

btw. don't you think participating at PF is volenteering?

I am willing to tutor any barely legal latinas and/or ebonies who want it.

Seriously though, I think it would be very rewarding to tutor the underpriveleged (those who grew up in sh:tty school districts, i.e. ghettos). Someday, I would like to do so. I think that would be a good way to spend my retirement years.

eNtRopY

i used to tutor some junior high kid with "ADHD"... but since i "have" ADHD (according to a school psychologist), we never really got much done. so, that gig only lasted about 2-3 weeks.

Originally posted by Loren Booda
Have any of you scientists ever volunteered to teach the disabled or disadvantaged?

I've tutored Math to convicts, does that count?

Greg-

I hope that PF reaches around the world to share learning with those less fortunate than we. You especially should be proud of that potential.

eNtRopY, Entropia, Daminc-

All good examples of what our gift of knowledge can do for the community at large.

Any others?

Well, I'm tutoring people that are Freshman, mainly in physics and math, but that's mainly because this way i get to register before everyone else. (A system for recruting tutors, plus i get credits for doing it) I do 9 hours a week and I'm quite happy of doing it. I got 9 regular clients and working for 6 additional hours in a physics/math help center. It's quite fun to help.

I tutored both college students AND at-risk high school students. I must say that tutoring was not the job for me. Both were paid positions, and both were harder than hell.

1) What kind of tutoring have you done?

As a scientist, I have primarily volunteered as a science tutor, helping students with subjects such as biology, chemistry, and physics. However, I have also assisted with other subjects like math and English.

2) How long have you been tutoring?

I have been volunteering as a tutor for over 5 years. During this time, I have gained valuable experience and have honed my tutoring skills to better help students learn and understand difficult concepts.

3) What age group do you typically tutor?

I have worked with students of all ages, from elementary school to college. I adapt my tutoring style to best suit the needs and learning styles of each individual student.

4) What do you enjoy most about tutoring?

I find great satisfaction in helping students overcome academic challenges and gain a deeper understanding of the subject matter. Seeing a student's improvement and growth is incredibly rewarding.

5) How do you ensure the success of your students?

I believe in creating a comfortable and open learning environment where students feel comfortable asking questions and seeking help. I also tailor my tutoring sessions to meet the specific needs of each student and provide additional resources and practice materials to supplement their learning.