Have digital video product idea, need EE help

In summary, the speaker is a digital video hobbyist/wannabe filmmaker with an idea for a product and is looking for someone with knowledge of NTSC signals, digital video, and electrical engineering to help design it. They cannot pay upfront but are willing to split profits if the product goes to market. The speaker is not located in Silicon Valley but believes the project can be done remotely. They also discuss the importance of having a Non-Disclosure Agreement in place before sharing the idea with anyone. They recommend using Nolo Press books for legal matters and provide contact information for anyone interested in working with them.
VideoEnt
Hello,

I am not an student, engineer or businessman, just a digital video hobbyist/wannabe filmmaker with an idea for a digital video product, that in my uneducated opinion, would be easy to engineer. I am looking for a person (student or otherwise) with decent knowledge of the U.S. version of the NTSC signal, digital video and electrical engineering to help me design it. I can not pay anyone up front, but if the product goes to market, I will split the profits with those who help. This isn't going to get anyone rich, but it could be a nice side income.

If you really understand http://www.videouniversity.com/engineer.htm , and are interested in working with me, please send me a PM, or reply here with contact details. Please know that if you contact me, I would expect that any information I send you would remain confidential.

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you say where you are geographically? If you are near Silicon Valley (Northern California, US), I can ask a few of my friends if they are interested. My background fits well, and I've done consulting designs in the past, but I'm hammered at work at the moment and for the foreseeable future.

Oh, and you should probably get a Non-Disclosure Agreement signed ahead of time with anybody you disclose your idea to. Nolo Press probably has something...

berkeman said:
Can you say where you are geographically? If you are near Silicon Valley (Northern California, US), I can ask a few of my friends if they are interested.

Unfortunately, I am in Indianapolis, IN. This is such a simple thing though, that I think it would be easy to do everything over the internet, telephone and snail mail.

berkeman said:
Oh, and you should probably get a Non-Disclosure Agreement signed ahead of time with anybody you disclose your idea to. Nolo Press probably has something...

You are probably right about this, I'll try and work something out.

VideoEnt said:
You are probably right about this, I'll try and work something out.
I highly recommend Nolo Press books when it comes to do-it-yourself legal matters. Here's their book on NDAs:

http://www.nolo.com/product.cfm/ObjectID/F11FE5EC-ADEA-49BB-BA4AB714B50B0F07/310/

Their book "Patent It Yourself" is also very good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone interested could also send me an email by using the form in my profile.

Thanks.

1. What is an EE and why do I need one for my digital video product idea?

An EE, or electrical engineer, is a professional who specializes in designing and developing electrical systems and products. They are essential for digital video product ideas because they have the technical expertise to help turn your idea into a functional and marketable product.

2. How can an EE help me with my digital video product idea?

An EE can help you with every aspect of your product, from designing the circuitry and choosing components to troubleshooting and testing. They have the knowledge and skills to ensure that your product is safe, reliable, and meets industry standards.

3. What should I look for in an EE when seeking help for my digital video product idea?

When looking for an EE to help with your product idea, you should consider their education, experience, and areas of expertise. Look for someone who has a degree in electrical engineering and experience in designing and developing digital products. It is also helpful to find someone who has worked on projects similar to yours.

4. How much will it cost to hire an EE for my digital video product idea?

The cost of hiring an EE for your product idea will vary depending on their experience, the complexity of your project, and the amount of time they will need to spend on it. It is important to discuss your budget and expectations with potential candidates to ensure that you find the right fit for your needs.

5. Can an EE also help with manufacturing and production of my digital video product?

Yes, an EE can provide assistance with manufacturing and production of your digital video product. They can help with sourcing components, creating production plans, and ensuring quality control during the manufacturing process. However, if your product requires specialized manufacturing, you may need to work with a separate manufacturing company.