Biomedical Engineering: Maths, Physics or Bio?

In summary, to major in Biomedical Engineering, you will need to have a strong background in both chemistry and biology. Additionally, courses in math, physics, and engineering will also be required. Biomedical engineering offers a promising future with a high salary, but it is important to do thorough research and choose a field that interests you personally.
meee
do i need to be good at chem?

is there lots of biology? i haven't done bio yet..

im more strong in maths and physics., but wondering what it takes to do biomedical..

or what wud be a better option?

Engineering news on Phys.org
meee said:
do i need to be good at chem?

is there lots of biology? i haven't done bio yet..

im more strong in maths and physics., but wondering what it takes to do biomedical..

or what wud be a better option?

Lots of Chemistry? YES.

Lots of Biology? YES.

Better option? First thing's first, how about some spelling and grammar? :tongue2:

Okay. Now tell me what i should do.

Last edited:
LOL if only it were that easy. I am in no position to tell YOU what to do. Aren't you capable of making decisions for yourself? :rolleyes: Any partiular reason you're interested in Biomedical Engineering? Do you know what biomedical means?

All I can say is you will need to take several biology and chemistry classes if you want to major in Biomedical Engineering. The rest is up to you.

Last edited:
hi man

i am studying biomedical engineering , and this is my seconde year

you will study 6 courses of chemistry
1) general chemistry ( 1 course )
2) biochemestry ( 2 courses )
3) organic biochemestry ( 2 courses )
4) biophysical chemistry ( 1 course )

biomedical engineering is the science that try to slove the medical problems ,

you will have a very good future , and a lot of work opportunities

i will start thread about the 1st and 2nd year in all engineering departments , you can viste the thread brother

good luck

okk thanks!

howbout aerospace is that good?

meee said:
howbout aerospace is that good?

well , its depend in the place that you live in :smile:

aerospace engineering have no good future and no work apportunties in a lot of contries ,:grumpy:

if you want my advice :rolleyes:

gooooo to the biomedical engineering :wink:

I am in my second last semester of biomedical engineering and I only took one basic microbiology course and one physiology course...the amount of biology classes you take depends on the university/college.

DeViL eNgInEeR said:
well , its depend in the place that you live in :smile:

aerospace engineering have no good future and no work apportunties in a lot of contries ,:grumpy:

if you want my advice :rolleyes:

gooooo to the biomedical engineering :wink:

australia?

im also very interested in this career path. Is there a lot of math and physics involved as well as the chem and biology part? If u can post some good information on this career please post a link. thanks.

Mach said:
im also very interested in this career path. Is there a lot of math and physics involved as well as the chem and biology part? If u can post some good information on this career please post a link. thanks.

lol yeah what he said

I'm alose interested in the subject :-D
maybe it would be interesting if those of you who are biomed engineers could share your experience, what field do you work etc

hi again meee

aerospace engineering have a good future in the contries that have space researches centers just like usa
i don't know how much australia interested in this kind of researches
by the way , in aerospace engineering you have to deal with heavy mechanical engineering work

checkout this informations
Aerospace engineering is the branch of engineering that concerns aircraft, spacecraft , and related topics. Originally called aeronautical engineering and dealing solely with aircraft, the broader term "aerospace engineering" has replaced the former in most usage, as flight technology advanced to include craft operating outside the Earth's atmosphere.[1] In analogy with "aeronautical engineering", the branch is sometimes referred to as astronautical engineering, although this term usually only concerns craft which operate in outer space.

and this is from wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerospace_engineering

--------------------------------------------------------

checkout this informations about biomedical engineering
Biomedical engineering (BME) is the application of engineering principles and techniques to the medical field. It combines the design and problem solving expertise of engineering with the medical expertise of physicians to help improve patient health care and the quality of life of healthy individuals. As a relatively new discipline, much of the work in biomedical engineering consists of research and development, covering an array of fields: bioinformatics, medical imaging, image processing, physiological signal processing, biomechanics, biomaterials and bioengineering, systems analysis, 3-D modeling, etc. Examples of concrete applications of biomedical engineering are the development and manufacture of biocompatible prostheses, medical devices, diagnostic devices and imaging equipment such as MRIs and EEGs, and pharmaceutical drugs.

Biomedical engineers usually require degrees from recognized universities, and sound knowledge of engineering and biological science. Their jobs often pay well (ranging from US $50,000 to $125,000 per year in 2005). Though the number of biomedical engineers is currently low (under 10,000), the number is expected to rise as modern medicine improves. Universities are now improving their biomedical engineering courses because interest in the field is increasing. Currently, according to U.S. News & World Report, the program at Johns Hopkins University is ranked first in the nation in the category of bioengineering/biomedical engineering. At the undergraduate level, an increasing number of programs are also becoming recognized by ABET as accredited bioengineering/biomedical engineering programs in the United States. Duke University, ranked second in the U.S. by U.S. News, was the first program accredited by the Engineering Council for Profession Development (now ABET) in September of 1972.

and that's also form Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biomedical_engineering

you can see , the no. of biomedical engineers is very low , and low no. mean high sallery

i will tell you all some of the subjects that evryone will study in biomedical engineering ...

medical topics
- Anatomy ( 2 courses )
- physiology ( 2 courses )
- Tissue ( 2 courses )
- bones pathology ( 1 course )
- cardiac pathology ( 1 course )
- urinary system pathology ( 1 course )
- molecualr and cell biology ( 1 course )
- medical physics ( 1 course )
- biomedical Statistics ( 1 course )
- nervous system ( 1 course )

engineering topics
- electronics devises and cct. theory ( 6 courses )
- electrical cct. ( 2 courses )
- engineering mechanic ( 2 courses )
- communication ( 2 courses )
- control systems ( 2 courses )
- programing ( 2 courses )
- strenth of materials ( 1 course )
- material science ( 2 courses )

biomedical engineering topics
- biomechanic ( 2 courses )
- biomaterials ( 2 courses )
- medical devices ( 6 courses )
- laser and obticals medical app. ( 2 courses )
- bioelectric signals ( 2 courses )
- hospital design ( 1 course )

chemestry topics
- general chemistry ( 1 course )
- biochemestry ( 2 courses )
- organic biochemestry ( 2 courses )
- biophysical chemistry ( 1 course )

i really forget a lot of courses , and i don't know others , that's what i remeberd know

if you need to know any thing about the above topics feel free to ask me

good luck

Last edited:
now I am only a high school student but it sounds like the competition to get into biomedical engineering is very feirce is this true?? Like do people usually complete a bachelors before getting accepted?

cool thankz

Mach said:
now I am only a high school student but it sounds like the competition to get into biomedical engineering is very feirce is this true?? Like do people usually complete a bachelors before getting accepted?

hi mach

thats not true

you will enjoy when you study biomedical engineering , because the subjects you study is diffrent and the places you study in also diffrent

you will enjoy when you take anatomy lecture in medicne school , and then take a electronics lecture in school of engineering

you will not be weariness

Like do people usually complete a bachelors before getting accepted

sure :smile:

good luck

meee said:
cool thankz

:smile:

your welcome

Do you have to take chemical engineering courses, or is this program which you speak of geared more towards mechanical and electrical engineering with applications to the biomedical industry?

So this thread is kind of old, I'm not sure if any of the responders are now BME's. If there are any BME's in here by chance, could you post about your past experience as an undergrad, any regrets, and how long did it take you to find work?

Hmmm... my favourite cousin was a biomedical engineer (he invented a 'relatively' painless bone biopsy needle), but gave it up to produce--and perform in--rock bands. (And he bailed out of that when he encountered too much bull****.) I don't know how long he studied to get his degree(s), but he's about the smartest guy that I've ever known (in person; PF exempted).

OK, I worked about 14 years as a biomechanical engineer, much of that in a major medical research hospital complex. I know lots of biomedical guys and can shed some light (specific to US). Although there is a Biomedical Engr. major, many do not arrive via that route. My education was Physics and Engineering Physics. I needed heavy design knowledge in mechanics and electrical and a moderate background in chemistry and a wee background in Biology. Others that I worked with had heavy computer skills or heavy electronics skills or othotics or biology, etc. There is no one size fits all preparation. I can tell you that you will almost certainly need an advanced degree in the US. No matter the route, you must absolutely have good math and communication skills.

If you are truly interested, write to one of the major centers and ask for a visit. Volunteer as an unpaid summer intern. Interview someone who is working in the area you are interested in.

1. What is biomedical engineering?

Biomedical engineering is a field that combines principles of engineering, biology, and medicine to develop solutions for healthcare and medical problems. It involves the application of engineering principles to analyze and solve problems in biology and medicine, such as designing medical devices and equipment, creating new diagnostic tools, and developing therapies and treatments.

2. What role does math play in biomedical engineering?

Math is an essential tool in biomedical engineering. It is used to model and analyze biological systems, such as the human body, and to understand how they respond to different stimuli. Math is also used in designing and testing medical devices, as well as in data analysis and interpretation for medical research.

3. How important is physics in biomedical engineering?

Physics plays a crucial role in biomedical engineering. It provides a fundamental understanding of how the body works and how different forces and energies affect biological systems. This knowledge is essential in developing medical devices and treatments, as well as in understanding the underlying mechanisms of diseases and injuries.

4. Can one choose a focus on either math, physics, or biology in biomedical engineering?

While all three subjects are important in biomedical engineering, students can choose to specialize in one or more areas depending on their interests and career goals. Some may focus more on the application of math in modeling and analysis, while others may focus on the physics of medical devices or the biology of the human body.

5. What are some examples of biomedical engineering applications?

Biomedical engineering has a wide range of applications, including the design and development of medical devices, such as prosthetics, imaging equipment, and artificial organs. It also involves the creation of new drugs and therapies, as well as the use of technology to improve healthcare delivery and patient outcomes. Other applications include tissue engineering, biomaterials, and biotechnology.