I am currently looking into membrane biophysics

In summary, there are several graduate programs and departments that focus on theoretical biophysics and its application to biological systems. Some notable ones include the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, University of Wisconsin, California Institute of Technology, University of British Columbia, Princeton University, Harvard University, and University of California, San Diego. Biophysics differs from biochemistry and asks different questions, and many top physics departments now have physicists working on biological problems. Computational chemistry departments also have a strong focus on modeling biological systems.
^_^physicist
I am currently looking into membrane biophysics as an area of research, and I will start doing some undergraduate research with one of my professors in his biophysic's labs. But I am curious how is the theory end of Biophysics looking, particularly for graduate programs. I have bumped into a couple, but most look more like theory driven biochemistry rather than biophysics.

Any advice for an aspiring Biophysicist? How about a Theortical Biophysicist?

Or am I just going to have to be a particle physicist...:rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
Check out the http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/" group at UIUC if you haven't already.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool stuff, thanks I was looking for a grad program just like that.

But I don't want to put all of my eggs in one basket. Anyone else know of some good ones (I know UW has a program, as does CIT, and I think UBC had one too)?

biophysics? is it like biochem but more physics oriented?

posted by Ki Man: biophysics? is it like biochem but more physics oriented?

I think this website sums up biophysics pretty well: http://www.biophysics.org/education/"

I want to stress this: IT IS NOT BIOCHEMISTRY! Biophysics asks different questions than biochemistry does, and our techniques are different when approaching similar questions.

Still its pretty cool stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
While not strictly biophysics, try looking into various chemistry departments, especially those strong in theoretical/physical - a lot of computational chemists are interested in modeling biological systems.

Off the top of my head, I know Princeton has a number of theoretical biological physicists. These people were trained as theoretical physicists in the traditional sense. They are both in the physics department and the molecular bio department. Harvard systems biology department (naturally) also has quite a few such individuals. Really, a lot of the top physics departments now have physicists working on biological problems.

Cool! Thanks for the heads up, I am going to start looking into those starting now.

UC San Diego has a biophysics program, too.

1. What is membrane biophysics?

Membrane biophysics is a branch of science that focuses on the physical properties and behavior of biological membranes. It involves studying the structure and function of cell membranes, as well as the various processes that occur within and across these membranes.

2. Why is membrane biophysics important?

Membrane biophysics is important because biological membranes play a crucial role in many cellular processes, such as cell signaling, transport of molecules and ions, and maintenance of cell structure. Understanding the physical principles behind these processes can help us better understand how cells function and how diseases may arise when these processes are disrupted.

3. What techniques are used in membrane biophysics research?

Several techniques are used in membrane biophysics research, including spectroscopy, microscopy, electrophysiology, and computational modeling. These techniques allow scientists to study the structural, mechanical, and electrical properties of biological membranes and the molecules that make them up.

4. What are some current research topics in membrane biophysics?

Some current research topics in membrane biophysics include the development of new techniques for studying membrane proteins, the role of membrane dynamics in cellular processes, and the interaction between membrane lipids and proteins. Other areas of interest include the influence of environmental factors on membrane behavior and the use of membrane mimetic systems for drug delivery.

5. How does membrane biophysics relate to other fields of study?

Membrane biophysics is an interdisciplinary field that combines principles from biology, physics, chemistry, and engineering. It has connections with other fields such as biochemistry, biophysics, cell biology, and pharmacology. Additionally, research in membrane biophysics has implications for medicine, as it can help us understand and treat diseases that involve membrane dysfunction.