Heat Capacity and Energy supplied

In summary, the individual is trying to calculate the energy used in heating a volume of air to a certain temperature using the formula E=mc (delta T/delta t) and has obtained a rate of heating of 12.56J per second for a 16K rise in temperature over 10 hours for a volume of air of 24m3. They ask for help in understanding if they did anything wrong and clarify that it is not a homework question. They also mention using the provided template for future questions.
nina
I'm stuck on some basic physics...

I'm using the formula E=mc (delta T/delta t) where E is energy, m is mass, c is specific heat, T is temperature and t is time, to calculate the energy used in heating a volume of air to a certain temperature.

Assuming that pressure is of that at sea level, I come up with a rate of heating of 12.56J per second, for a 16K rise in temperature over 10 hours, for a volume of air of 24m3.

This seems a little high, what did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
?

we have just been told that E=mc*deltaT, in both physics and chemsitry...?

where did you get the (deltaT/deltat) ?EDIT: ah ha! i see where the discrepancy lies... you are working out energy per second. sorry.

nina said:
I'm stuck on some basic physics...

I'm using the formula E=mc (delta T/delta t) where E is energy, m is mass, c is specific heat, T is temperature and t is time, to calculate the energy used in heating a volume of air to a certain temperature.

Assuming that pressure is of that at sea level, I come up with a rate of heating of 12.56J per second, for a 16K rise in temperature over 10 hours, for a volume of air of 24m3.

This seems a little high, what did I do wrong?
That's about the same number I get...but next time:

1. Please post such questions in the Homework & Coursework subforums, and
2. Use the template provided (and write down the original question EXACTLY as it was given to you).

Gokul43201 said:
That's about the same number I get...but next time:

1. Please post such questions in the Homework & Coursework subforums, and
2. Use the template provided (and write down the original question EXACTLY as it was given to you).

Thanks, but it's not homework! I'm trying to work it out for myself for another project, needed to check the answer before I went forward with the work!

That IS the original question, shows why I shoudnt be a teacher!

What is heat capacity?

Heat capacity is a physical property of a material that measures its ability to absorb heat energy without a significant change in temperature.

How is heat capacity measured?

Heat capacity is typically measured in units of joules per degree Celsius (J/C°) or joules per kelvin (J/K). It can be determined experimentally by measuring the amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of a material by a certain amount.

What factors affect heat capacity?

The heat capacity of a material is affected by its mass, composition, and physical state. Materials with a higher mass or more complex molecular structure tend to have a higher heat capacity.

What is the relationship between heat capacity and energy supplied?

Heat capacity is directly proportional to the amount of energy supplied to a material. This means that as more heat is added to a material, its temperature will increase at a slower rate if it has a higher heat capacity.

How is heat capacity used in practical applications?

Heat capacity is an important concept in fields such as thermodynamics, engineering, and materials science. It is used to design and optimize heating and cooling systems, understand the behavior of materials under different temperatures, and calculate the energy requirements for various processes.