How do I calculate allowable stress for different materials?

In summary: This will give you a range of stresses to start with. Now take Henri Tresca and do the same but multiply by the safety factor. You now have a range of stresses to aim for. Lastly, use the T-criterion to find the allowable stress for your material.links needed
araanandv2
Hi,

Please explain me Allowable stress Calculation?
How to calculate allowable stress calculation for different material?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi araan.
Allowable stress is a term used to indicate the maximum amount of stress a material may be subjected to given a predetermined factor of safety. In mechanical engineering, we use allowable stress in piping and pressure vessel analysis. I believe civil engineering uses this concept for other purposes as well, including reinforced concrete structures.

Regardless of its use, the calculation of stress can be done using any method suitable, such as conventional hand calculations, using Roark, ASME code calculations, FEA, etc... The stress obtained from those calculations must then be compared to the maximum stress the material is allowed to be exposed to (ie: the allowable stress). For piping codes for example, the stress determined by calculation may not exceed 2/3 of yield strength or about 1/4 of ultimate tensile strength, depending on the code.

links needed

Q_Goest said:
Hi araan.
Allowable stress is a term used to indicate the maximum amount of stress a material may be subjected to given a predetermined factor of safety. In mechanical engineering, we use allowable stress in piping and pressure vessel analysis. I believe civil engineering uses this concept for other purposes as well, including reinforced concrete structures.

Regardless of its use, the calculation of stress can be done using any method suitable, such as conventional hand calculations, using Roark, ASME code calculations, FEA, etc... The stress obtained from those calculations must then be compared to the maximum stress the material is allowed to be exposed to (ie: the allowable stress). For piping codes for example, the stress determined by calculation may not exceed 2/3 of yield strength or about 1/4 of ultimate tensile strength, depending on the code.

Can u please provide us more links where we can find the calculation.
We are into analysis of a pressure vessel by hand calculation.

Last edited:
Thank you very much

Last edited:
Hi araan,
Sorry, but the short answer is no, I can't provide you the calculations, and you won't find a link on the web. The specifications are copyrighted, and cost hundreds of $.

Which code you're looking for can't even be known from what you're asking. What country you're in determines which code you need to apply.

Assuming you're in the US, the next question would be are you going to actually build something or is this just an excersize? If something needs to actually be built, you won't be able to do that since building pressure vessels is governed by state law. If this is just a college excersize, I'd suggest checking out your library for ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessle Code, Section VIII, Division 1 or 2.

If you're not in the US, perhaps someone else more familiar with the codes used in your country can help.

Sorry I can't help you a bit more, but if you'd be a little more specific about where you are, what this is for, size, pressure, etc… it would be easier to pin down what help you can use.

What is the definition of allowable stress?

The allowable stress is the maximum amount of stress that a material can withstand without causing permanent deformation or failure. It is typically expressed in units of force per unit area (e.g. pounds per square inch or megapascals).

How is allowable stress calculated?

Allowable stress is calculated by dividing the maximum load or force that a material can withstand by its cross-sectional area. This calculation takes into account factors such as the material's strength, its shape, and the conditions under which it will be used.

Why is it important to calculate allowable stress?

Calculating allowable stress is important because it helps determine the safety and reliability of a structure or component. By ensuring that the stress on a material does not exceed its allowable limit, the risk of failure or collapse can be minimized.

What are some factors that can affect allowable stress?

Some factors that can affect allowable stress include the type and quality of the material, the shape and size of the component, the temperature and environmental conditions, and the loading conditions (e.g. tension, compression, bending).

How does allowable stress differ from ultimate and yield stress?

Allowable stress is the maximum stress that a material can withstand without permanent deformation or failure, while ultimate stress is the maximum stress that a material can withstand before breaking. Yield stress is the stress at which a material begins to deform plastically. These values are typically different and are used for different purposes in engineering calculations.