Is there an easier way to do single integrals of the form (sinx)^n (cosx)^m dx?

• Thread starter halfoflessthan5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, this method of integration is quicker and simpler than the alternative, which uses the differential of f.
halfoflessthan5
what is the quick way of doing single integrals of the form:

*integral* (sinx)^n (cosx)^m dx

where n and m are just integers. These kind of integrals come up all the time in vector calculus and they take me ages to do. Is there a general method of doing them or a few common integrals i could learn? I end up having to apply about 3 trig identites and then sorting out the mess of resulting sinxs, cosx, cos2x etc

an eg would be

*integral* cosx (sinx)^2 dx

I would do this by using (sinx)^2 + (cosx)^2 = 1
then cos^2= 1/2(1 +cos2A)
then cosCcosD=1/2(cos(C+D) + cos(C-D))

Which takes about a side and a half of a4. There must be a simpler way (substitutions, change of variables?)

Physics news on Phys.org
Most tables of integrals have a reduction formula for those kinds of integrals. But that's not exactly time saving either.

halfoflessthan5 said:
*integral* cosx (sinx)^2 dx
This particular one is easy to do (using f'(x)dx=df(x) and substitution without a new named variable):
[tex]\int \sin^n x \cos x dx = \int \sin^n x d(\sin x) = \frac1{n+1}\sin^{n+1}(x)[/tex]

Last edited:
Eighty said:
This particular one is easy to do (using f'(x)dx=df(x) and substitution without a new named variable):
[tex]\int \sin^n x \cos x dx = \int \sin^n x d(\sin x) = \frac1{n+1}\sin^{n+1}(x)[/tex]

sorry I am not sure i understand that. what is f'(x)dx=df(x)? (ive probably done that type of integration before but not with that name or notation. is that 'd' as in 'dx' or just a constant) and I am not sure what substitution "without a new named variable means" either :confused:

your method definitely looks quicker and more sensible

By df(x) he means the differential of f, which is equal to f'(x)dx

It's the same as integration by substitution with u=sin(x). Work it out, and you'll see. I keep calling it sin(x) rather than u though, since I have to get back to it eventually.

yeh, okay. and when you change the dx to dt you get 1/cosx which cancels the one in the integrand. very clever

thankyou Eighty , much appreciated

1. What is a quick integral?

A quick integral is a mathematical calculation that determines the area under a curve or the volume of a solid. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and is used in calculus to solve a variety of problems.

2. How do I solve a quick integral?

To solve a quick integral, you must first identify the function and its limits. Then, use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions to evaluate the integral.

3. Why are quick integrals important?

Quick integrals are important because they allow us to find the total value of a function over a specific interval. They are used in many real-world applications, such as calculating areas, volumes, and even in physics and engineering to solve complex problems.

4. What are the different types of quick integrals?

There are many types of quick integrals, including definite and indefinite integrals, improper integrals, and multiple integrals. Each type has its own set of rules and techniques for solving.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve a quick integral?

Yes, there are many calculators and computer programs that can solve quick integrals. However, it is important to understand the concepts and techniques behind integration so that you can verify the accuracy of the calculator's result.