Finding thickness of a thin film question

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of equations for constructive and destructive interference to determine the thickness of a thin film of oil on a smooth, wet pavement. The equations involve the order number, index of refraction, and wavelength of light. It is determined that both equations provided are correct, with the only difference being a 90 degree phase change.
feelau

Homework Statement

A thin film of oil (n = 1.23) is located on a smooth, wet pavement. When viewed perpendicular to the pavement, the film reflects most strongly red light at 640 nm and reflects no light at 569 nm. How thick is the oil film?

Homework Equations

2nt=(m+.5)*(wavelength)------constructive interference
2nt=m* wavelength------------destructive interference
n=index of refraction
t= thickness
m= order number

The Attempt at a Solution

So I tried to set the two equations together and using the corresponding wavelengths to solve for m. Next I just plugged m into one of the equations and using the corresponding wavelength to find t. Is that the correct method of doing this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you have the formulas for constructive and destructive interference reversed somewhat. They should be:

Constructive: [tex] 2nt = m\lambda[/tex]

Destructive: [tex] 2nt = (m-1/2)\lambda[/tex]

Hm I think they are the same thing. My textbook says it's that way, the only difference is the 90 degree phase change. But would be method be correct?

Yes, I guess they are both correct. Just in case you were wondering I looked up the formulas for thin films posted above in Knight's Physics book.(Not my favorite, but the only one I had on me.) Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

Last edited:
np thanks for the verification

1. What is the purpose of finding the thickness of a thin film?

The thickness of a thin film is important in many scientific and technological applications, such as in nanotechnology, optics, and electronics. It can affect the properties and behavior of the film, and understanding its thickness can help in optimizing its performance.

2. How is the thickness of a thin film measured?

There are several methods for measuring the thickness of a thin film, including ellipsometry, spectroscopic reflectometry, and profilometry. These techniques involve analyzing the reflection, refraction, and topography of the film to determine its thickness.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of thin film thickness measurements?

The accuracy of thin film thickness measurements can be affected by factors such as the type of measurement technique used, the type and properties of the film material, the surface roughness of the film, and the presence of any additional layers or coatings on the film.

4. Can the thickness of a thin film be controlled during its deposition?

Yes, the thickness of a thin film can be controlled during its deposition. This can be achieved through various methods such as adjusting the deposition rate, using a shutter to control the duration of deposition, or monitoring the thickness in real-time using in-situ techniques.

5. What are the challenges in accurately measuring the thickness of a thin film?

Accurately measuring the thickness of a thin film can be challenging due to the small scale of the film, the potential for surface roughness or defects, and the need for specialized equipment and techniques. Additionally, the properties of the film may change over time, making it necessary to monitor and measure its thickness at different stages of its life cycle.