Have You Seen Discovery's Planet Earth Yet?

In summary: The male bird would get so close to the female that she would spread her wings to show she was unharmed and he would stop.I agree, I can't believe how fast they were going on sheer rock cliffs!I liked when they did a time lapse of the sea floor, filled with sea stars, which showed them moving around to avoid a predator (also a slow moving star-like creature).I watch it on HD when I can. It's great.
Discovery's "Planet Earth"

Is anyone else watching this series? I am extremely impressed and engrossed in this program. The HD is amazing and some of the shots are darn right heavenly. So far my favorite episode is either "Shallow Seas" or "Caves".

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I'm trying to TiVo as many of the episodes as I can. I've only gotten to watch them a little bit so far, and I agree that they are amazing.

Is this a second series of Planet Earth or something? I ask this because I recently(as in a few days ago) saw someone else post a thread about this programme in another forum. Where I live, Discovery airs its shows a little later than they do in the US, but I've been seeing ads and even saw one or two episodes in the past couple of months.

neutrino said:
Is this a second series of Planet Earth or something? I ask this because I recently(as in a few days ago) saw someone else post a thread about this programme in another forum. Where I live, Discovery airs its shows a little later than they do in the US, but I've been seeing ads and even saw one or two episodes in the past couple of months.

No it's completely new. It was 5-6 years in the making. I enjoy the last 15 minutes where they go behind the scenes of the episode on the camera work and difficulties of filming where they were.

http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/planet-earth/planet-earth.html

I saw a few of these when they aired on the BBC a few months ago. Some of the clips are absolutely stunning.

Here is a link for UK users, as the video clips in the one above are for the US only (No idea why. I didn't even know websites could restrict based on where you are from)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/animals/planetearth/hd/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember in one episode, the elusive Snow Leopard chasing down a mountain goat on an almost-vertical wall of a cliff. That was AMAZING! I think he finally caught the goat in the water below

They'll be out on DVD soon, including the two competing high-def DVD formats, I believe.

- Warren

neutrino said:
I remember in one episode, the elusive Snow Leopard chasing down a mountain goat on an almost-vertical wall of a cliff. That was AMAZING! I think he finally caught the goat in the water below

I agree, I can't believe how fast they were going on sheer rock cliffs!

I liked when they did a time lapse of the sea floor, filled with sea stars, which showed them moving around to avoid a predator (also a slow moving star-like creature).

I watch it on HD when I can. It's great. Can't say conserving is the best way to help the environment flourish, but the show is really good. I saw "Deep Sea" and when they were in Alaska and filming bird of paradise mating dances.

What is "Discovery's Planet Earth"?

"Discovery's Planet Earth" is a television series produced by the Discovery Channel that explores the wonders and diversity of our planet. It consists of 11 episodes, each focusing on a different habitat or aspect of Earth.

How was "Discovery's Planet Earth" made?

The series was created using high-definition footage from over 200 locations around the world, captured by more than 40 filmmakers. It also utilized advanced filming techniques such as aerial and time-lapse photography to showcase the beauty and complexity of our planet.

What topics are covered in "Discovery's Planet Earth"?

The series covers a wide range of topics, including the diversity of animal and plant life, natural phenomena such as weather and geology, and the impact of human activities on the environment. It also delves into the interconnectedness of different ecosystems and how they support life on Earth.

Is "Discovery's Planet Earth" scientifically accurate?

Yes, the series is based on scientific research and features interviews with experts in various fields. The filmmakers also consulted with scientists and conservationists to ensure the accuracy of the information presented.

Where can I watch "Discovery's Planet Earth"?

"Discovery's Planet Earth" is available for streaming on various platforms, including Discovery+, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video. It can also be purchased on DVD or Blu-ray. Check your local listings for broadcast times.