Magnitude of an electric force problem with vectors

In summary, the problem involves two equal positive charges (q = 2.0 x 10^-6 C) interacting with a third charge (Q = 4.0 x 10^-6 C). The magnitude of the electric force on Q can be found by using the equation for electric force (Kc*q1/r^2) and breaking down the charges into their x and y components. After plugging in the values and simplifying, the net force can be determined using the Pythagorean theorem. The two vertical components balance out while the two horizontal components work together to find the net force on Q.
AladdinSane

Homework Statement

Two equal positive charges, both q = 2.0 x 10^ -6 C, interact with a third charge Q = 4.0 x 10^ -6 C, as shown above. What is the magnitude of the electric force on Q?[/B][/B]

Homework Equations

Electric force = Kc (q1/r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically, I believe that my problem is in solving the vectors.
I attempted to break down the charges(it is hard to show this work on here but...) I broke it down into...
E(y) = E(1) x sin Θ(1) + E(2) x sin Θ(2)
E(x) = E(1) x cox Θ(1) - E(2) sin Θ(2)
I'm not sure if that makes sense, but it was all I could think of...Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• scan.jpg
    scan.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 390
Physics news on Phys.org
AladdinSane said:
E(x) = E(1) x cox Θ(1) - E(2) sin Θ(2)
I'm sure you meant "cos", not "sin" there right?

While waiting for the image, it sounds like your reasoning is correct. You are summing the x and y components of the separate forces on the thrid charge. Next you need to determine the net force.

Hey, how did you type those thetas in there?

Last edited:
thanks chi,
so i believe my second set should actually look like...
E(x) = E(1) x cosx Θ(1) - E(2) cos Θ(2)
then once i plug in my values and simplify, i should get my x component any my y component, right? then i just use the pythagorean theorem to solve?

oh, and for the thetas i just happened to come across one on a wensite and i copied and pasted. .

Θ

wow, must be some ASCII trick.Anyway, now that I see the drawing, please notice that the two vertical components are balancing out while the two horizontal components are working together. Simpler now, isn't it?

1. What is the formula for calculating the magnitude of an electric force problem with vectors?

The formula for calculating the magnitude of an electric force problem with vectors is F = k * (|q1| * |q2| / r2), where F is the magnitude of the force, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the magnitudes of the charges, and r is the distance between the charges.

2. How do you represent vectors in an electric force problem?

Vectors in an electric force problem are represented by arrows. The length of the arrow represents the magnitude of the vector, and the direction of the arrow represents the direction of the vector. The tail of the arrow is placed at the starting point of the vector and the head of the arrow is placed at the end point of the vector.

3. What is the unit of measurement for the magnitude of an electric force?

The unit of measurement for the magnitude of an electric force is Newtons (N). This is the standard unit for measuring force in the International System of Units (SI).

4. How does the magnitude of the distance between two charges affect the magnitude of the electric force?

The magnitude of the electric force is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the magnitude of the electric force decreases and vice versa.

5. Can the magnitude of an electric force be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of an electric force can be negative. This indicates that the force is attractive, meaning that the charges are of opposite signs. A positive magnitude indicates a repulsive force, meaning that the charges are of the same sign.