What causes computer brain-death ?

• Thread starter moe darklight
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the prolonged use of computers can lead to a state of mental exhaustion, commonly referred to as "computer brain-death". The constant stimulation and multitasking involved in computer use can contribute to this phenomenon. The exact cause is not fully understood, but it may be related to the high refresh rates and contrast levels of screens. Further research is needed to fully understand this issue.
moe darklight
what causes "computer brain-death"?

I don't know what else to call it, but I'm sure you've all experienced it: hours of working on the computer, you leave the computer, and realize you have the mental capacity of a broccoli.
It's like your brain doesn't function normally, it's lost in a sort of haze.

I've always wondered what causes it. Is it the refresh rates of the screen? the high contrast level? what is it? — it doesn't happen after hours of reading a book or working on paper, it only happens when working on the computer for long hours.

Is there a known cause for it, or is it too trivial to investigate :biggrin:?

Computer science news on Phys.org
The computer can provide an almost-constant, non-stop level of mental stimulation. It can be pretty exhausting.

- Warren

hm. I never thought of that, I always figured it was something to do with the screen, but it makes sense. I'm always doing a million things at once on the computer... browsing PF, checking my facebook and msn, listening to music, etc. and on top of that the actual work I'm supposed to be doing, if I find the time :biggrin:

1. What is computer brain-death?

Computer brain-death refers to the state in which a computer system or device can no longer function or perform tasks as it normally would. It can occur due to various reasons such as hardware failure, software corruption, or damage to critical components.

2. What causes computer brain-death?

There are several factors that can contribute to computer brain-death. These include physical damage to hardware components, power surges or outages, malware or viruses, and corrupt system files. Additionally, outdated hardware or software can also lead to computer brain-death.

3. Can computer brain-death be prevented?

While it is not always possible to prevent computer brain-death, there are measures that can be taken to minimize the risk. These include regularly updating hardware and software, using surge protectors, and implementing security measures to prevent malware and viruses.

4. How can one diagnose computer brain-death?

The first step in diagnosing computer brain-death is to check for any physical damage to the hardware components. If there is no visible damage, then troubleshooting the software and system files can help identify the cause. This can be done through various diagnostic tools and techniques, such as running system checks or performing a system restore.

5. Is there a way to revive a computer from brain-death?

In some cases, it is possible to revive a computer from brain-death. This can be done by replacing damaged hardware components, repairing corrupt system files, or reinstalling the operating system. However, in some cases, the damage may be irreversible and the computer may need to be replaced.