Anti-neutron + Electron reaction?

In summary: The effect of this would be a change in the direction of the particles. Additionally, there could be some weak interaction that could lead to the creation of a proton and an electron neutrino, or an anti-proton and an electron neutrino. However, this process would not be as significant as the scattering effect. In summary, when an anti-neutron and an electron collide, the most significant effect would be scattering due to the EM interaction between the particles. There may also be some weak interaction resulting in the creation of a proton and electron neutrino or an anti-proton and electron neutrino, but this would not be the main result.
Gib Z
Homework Helper
Hey guys, I need help on this question that was in the Australian Physics Olympiad Entrance exam last week:

What would happen if an anti-neutron and an electron collided, and why?

I'm thinking some sort of beta radiation, but that's just a hunch and I don't know why.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried to draw a Feynman diagram of this one?

Ahh good idea but I can't get anywhere from it :(

Just draw one for a allowed reaction, i.e :

e + P -> N + e-neutrino

Then crossing (change side and do antiparticle)

e + anti_N -> anti_P + e-neutrino

That should be right

Ahh :) In other terms, an electron and a proton form a Neutron and an electron neutrino, So an electron and an anti Neutrino make an anti proton and an electron neutrino? The electron neutrino tells me beta radiation, but does the anti proton affect that in any way?

Ahh I see. Thank you so much :)

No problem, now good luck! Cheers

Gib Z said:
Hey guys, I need help on this question that was in the Australian Physics Olympiad Entrance exam last week:

What would happen if an anti-neutron and an electron collided, and why?

I'm thinking some sort of beta radiation, but that's just a hunch and I don't know why.

Thanks!
The most important reaction would be scattering due to the EM interaction between the electron and the antli-neutron magnetic moment.

What is an anti-neutron and electron reaction?

An anti-neutron and electron reaction is a process in which an anti-neutron (the antimatter counterpart of a neutron) and an electron collide and annihilate each other, releasing energy in the form of gamma rays.

What is the significance of an anti-neutron and electron reaction?

Anti-neutron and electron reactions are important in understanding the fundamental properties of matter and antimatter. They also play a role in high-energy physics experiments and have potential applications in nuclear energy and medicine.

What happens to the energy released in an anti-neutron and electron reaction?

The energy released in an anti-neutron and electron reaction is in the form of gamma rays, which are high-energy photons. This energy can be harnessed for various purposes, such as powering spacecraft or producing medical isotopes.

Can anti-neutron and electron reactions occur naturally?

No, anti-neutron and electron reactions do not occur naturally on Earth. However, they can be created in high-energy particle accelerators or observed in outer space, where cosmic rays can produce antimatter particles.

What is the difference between an anti-neutron and a regular neutron?

An anti-neutron has the same mass as a regular neutron, but it has the opposite charge. While a regular neutron is electrically neutral, an anti-neutron has a negative charge. When an anti-neutron and a regular neutron collide, they can also annihilate each other, releasing energy in the form of gamma rays.