Work-Energy Principle: Finding the Length of a Rough Patch

In summary, the problem involves a skater on an ice-skating rink encountering a rough patch that reduces her speed by 45%. The work-energy principle is used to find the length of the rough patch. After factoring in the known values and solving for d, the correct answer is 1.84 meters.
ahero4eternity
[SOLVED] Work-Energy Principle

1. The problem...
On an essentially frictionless horizontal ice-skating rink, a skater moving at 3.00 m/s encounters a rough patch that reduces her speed by 45.0 % to a friction force that is 25.0 % of her weight.

Use the work-energy principle to find the length of the rough patch.
2. The relevant equation...
KEi + PEi + W(by friction) = KEf + PEf where i = initial and f = final3. My attempt...
Since Work by friction = -Fd, then you can substitute F for (.25 x mg), correct? that is because the Force of friction (F) is 25% of her weight (mg). Ultimately, this is going to allow m to cancel out. With that, I have the equation:

.5mv^2 + mgh + (-.25mg)d = .5mv^2 + mgh

Factoring out the m so it can cancel out I now have:

m (.5v^2 + gh + (-.25g)d) = m (.5v^2 + gh)

Since this is all happening on a level surface, then h = 0. Now I am left with:

.5v^2 + (-.25g)d = .5vf^2

Now, plug in our known values...

.5(3^2) + (-.25 x 9.8)d = .5(.45 x 3)^2

Note: v final = 3 x 45% as stated in the problem

Solving for d, I get 1.46 meters. But this is wrong...

I've also tried this same exact setup using a final speed of 0, getting a distance of 1.84 meters. That, too, is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
ahero4eternity said:
Note: v final = 3 x 45% as stated in the problem
The problem states that the speed is reduced by 45%, not reduced to 45%.

Yeh, I got that about 5 mins after I posted this (and the forum for down for me, I couldn't access it). Thanks for your help, though. It's much appreciated. :)

1. What is the Work-Energy Principle?

The Work-Energy Principle states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In other words, the work done by all forces acting on an object will change its energy, either by speeding it up or slowing it down.

2. How is the Work-Energy Principle calculated?

The Work-Energy Principle can be calculated using the equation W = ΔK, where W represents the work done on the object and ΔK represents the change in kinetic energy. The unit for work is joules (J) and the unit for kinetic energy is also joules (J).

3. What are some real-life applications of the Work-Energy Principle?

The Work-Energy Principle can be observed in many everyday situations, such as throwing a ball or riding a bike. In both cases, work is done on the object (ball or bike) and this results in a change in its kinetic energy, causing it to move.

4. How does the Work-Energy Principle relate to other laws of physics?

The Work-Energy Principle is closely related to the laws of conservation of energy and conservation of momentum. Together, these laws help explain the behavior of objects in motion and can be used to solve various physics problems.

5. Are there any limitations to the Work-Energy Principle?

The Work-Energy Principle is a simplified concept that does not take into account factors such as friction or air resistance, which can affect the energy and motion of an object. It also assumes that the work done on the object is the only factor contributing to its change in kinetic energy.