Can you feel the weight of a cloud as it flies over?

In summary, clouds have varying weights and their weight can be estimated by calculating the concentration of water droplets and the volume of the cloud. Despite their massive size, clouds are held up by air pressure and do not exert any noticeable pressure on the ground or objects below them. One way to experience the feeling of a cloud is by walking into a fog bank, which is essentially a cloud at ground level.
lushsector9
I once read an article that said the average weight of a cloud is equal to eight elephants. I know that they are very massive and even larger so they are not that dense knowing this I pose two questions... How would one measure the wieght of a cloud when the density/volume is not uniform nor is it constant nor? and theorectically would one be able to feel the pressure change as a cloud flew over (could you feel the weight of the clouds)?

Physics news on Phys.org
No one can say exactly how heavy a cloud is. The way to measure its weight is this: they estimate the concentration of water droplet (very fine) then calculate the amount of water in cubic meter (or dm3 , cm3..). Then they have to estimate the whole volume of the cloud: the thickness, the widths.. And finally a multiplication.
For the second question: I can tell you my experience. Once I cruised in the high mountain area by motorbike, and there were times some cloud flew across the trails. I can not feel any difference in pressure, only cooler a bit. Theoretically, the cloud must retain certain pressure equilibrium with the surrounding air, so there musn't much difference.

Really, the easiest way to determine for yourself what a cloud feels like, without leaving the ground, is to walk into a fog bank. Fog, after all, is just a cloud at ground level.
That's one neat thing about living where I do. I can drive west, watching all of these honking huge clouds enveloping the mountains, and by the time I get to Banff or even Canmore, they aren't clouds any more; they're fog.

The water droplets in a cloud are very small, small enough to be, buoyant and held up in the sky by air pressure. The reason you wouldn't feel pressure from a cloud passing over you in the sky is because it's held up by the air pressure, not you. I suppose it might increase the local air pressure slightly, though I'm not sure if that's true, but the reason why you don't feel the eight-elephants-worth of pressure on you is the same reason you don't feel pressure from the weight of the floor above you when you're in a multi-story building: because that weight is being held up by something other than your body.

What is the weight of a flying object?

The weight of a flying object can vary depending on its size, shape, and material. For example, a small paper airplane may weigh only a few grams, while a commercial airplane can weigh up to several hundred thousand pounds.

Why is the weight of a flying object important?

The weight of a flying object is important because it affects its ability to stay in the air and maneuver. Too much weight can cause an object to have trouble taking off or maintaining altitude, while too little weight can make it difficult to control.

What factors affect the weight of a flying object?

The weight of a flying object is affected by several factors, including the materials it is made of, its size and shape, and any added cargo or passengers. Air density and weather conditions can also play a role in the weight of a flying object.

How is the weight of a flying object measured?

The weight of a flying object is typically measured in pounds or kilograms using a scale. For larger objects, such as airplanes, weight is often measured in tons. In some cases, weight can also be calculated using mathematical equations based on the object's dimensions and materials.

Can the weight of a flying object change during flight?

Yes, the weight of a flying object can change during flight. As fuel is burned and cargo or passengers are added or removed, the weight of the object can fluctuate. This can affect its performance and may require adjustments by the pilot or crew.