Can You Lose Knowledge From Not Using It?

• Thread starter Holocene
  • Start date
In summary: It is common for professors to offer tutorials on material they do not necessarily research in order to help their students retain the information. Additionally, it can be helpful for professors to teach material they are not necessarily expert in in order to help their students gain a deeper understanding of the material.
Holocene
Is it common to sort of "lose knowledge" in a particular subject if you don't use it for a while?

For instance, when studying some math, I had to go back and review some past chapters even though I correctly answered all the review questions associated with that chapter at a prior date.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you don't practice something regularly, you will lose confidence in it. I don't think you can really forget what you learned. You will have a sense of familiarity, but to become proficient again you have to practice.

Last edited:
I think that the loose it or lose it attitude applies to physics and definitely to math above the pre-calculus level. I think the only reason I am still proficient in intro-physics is because I am a tutor for it.

Well certainly, you don't remember everything you learn.
If you turn a page in a book you can remember what you just read, but come a month later and someone asks you what happened on page 97 you'll have no idea.

Review once in a while and you'll retain a much higher percentage of what you learned for a much longer time. If you're really interested there have been scientific studies about memory recall, maybe google for them.

Of course. Relate it to exercising ... say you're in shape atm and can run miles, do you think you'll be able to do that w/o having exercised a year down the road? Same goes for knowledge.

why do you think professors will voluntariy teach classes in things they don't do research in?

CPL.Luke said:
why do you think professors will voluntariy teach classes in things they don't do research in?

At my department, they also give the classical physics TA assignments to us first years to help us study for our qualifier. Seems like teaching something is an excellent way to not forget it.

1. Can you actually lose knowledge from not using it?

Yes, it is possible to lose knowledge from not using it. This is because our brains have a limited capacity to retain information, and if we do not actively use and reinforce that information, it can fade away over time.

2. How long does it take to lose knowledge from not using it?

The time it takes to lose knowledge from not using it can vary depending on the individual and the complexity of the knowledge. Some studies suggest that forgetting can begin as soon as 20 minutes after learning something, while other research suggests that it can take days or even weeks for information to fade away.

3. Can you regain lost knowledge?

Yes, it is possible to regain lost knowledge through studying and practice. Just like how we can forget information if we do not use it, we can also re-learn and reinforce that information to regain our knowledge.

4. Does age play a role in losing knowledge from not using it?

Yes, age can play a role in how quickly we lose knowledge from not using it. As we age, our brains may become less efficient at retaining and recalling information, making it easier to forget things if we do not actively use them.

5. Are there any benefits to not using certain knowledge?

In some cases, not using certain knowledge can have benefits. For example, if we are constantly exposed to negative or incorrect information, not using it can prevent us from internalizing and believing that information. Additionally, not using certain knowledge can also allow us to focus on and prioritize the most important information and skills that we need in our daily lives.