Did My Boss Just Give Away $5,000 at Work?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: I'm sorry; that must have hurt.The drawing was the only fair thing to do. And by drawing in front of us there could be no question that it was rigged.It seems odd to me to mandate $5K to one person in an office full of people. That would encourage competition, but not teamwork. It would encourage sabotage and distrust in employees. Then the whole 'only one of you three can win, but I want you to be here to see the look on your faces when you lose' thing. It resembles the occassional reinforcement pattern found in gambling, and could be a way to increase productivity and general ass-kissing from employees at a minimum cost. I'm not impressed.
That is really stinky! The first-place winner should have been given a choice of prizes. I've chipped in on charity raffles when one of the prizes was a lot of heating oil. I could have grabbed that and given it to my father or one of my sisters, but it would have been WAY fairer to let the first-place winner to claim a little generator or an outboard motor if that's what they would prefer to get.

Doesn't much matter - I don't win squat anyway.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should just take the week off at a luxury resort in Hawaii. Send the bill to Ivan.

That seems like a bizarre way to run an office, to just hand out money because you happen to be there on the right day and time. While it might be a nice incentive to stay late on a Friday night, it still seems an odd way to reward people for their effort when everyone who puts in the extra effort isn't compensated. You could have been sitting there twiddling your thumbs and doing your online shopping while waiting for someone to meet you for dinner and got the bonus while the person slaving away trying to get a big project in before a deadline gets nothing with that sort of scheme. Sounds like a great way to demoralize all the employees.

Then again, I've only won something twice that I can remember. Once was at a church dinner I attended with my grandparents as a kid. I had the chair with the piece of tape under it...I won the "centerpiece" on the table, which was about a 6 inch piece of a pine branch with a couple pinecones stuck on it. :rolleyes: Wheee...just what a little kid wants.

The other time I won something was almost worse. I won a frozen turkey from some charity raffle...while I was living in dorms with no freezer, no cooking implements other than a saucepan and a few spoons, and a shared oven that would have been too tiny to cook a turkey in even if I wanted to try. I had to send it home to my parents...and don't think I ever saw as much as a drumstick from it. :frown: Oh how my dorm mates would have loved me if I had a way to cook that! Seriously, the disappointment of winning a turkey and still not getting to enjoy eating it was far worse than never winning at all (I didn't expect to win, and just bought the chance to contribute to the charity).

Moonbear said:
The other time I won something was almost worse. I won a frozen turkey from some charity raffle...while I was living in dorms with no freezer, no cooking implements other than a saucepan and a few spoons, and a shared oven that would have been too tiny to cook a turkey in even if I wanted to try. I had to send it home to my parents...and don't think I ever saw as much as a drumstick from it. :frown: Oh how my dorm mates would have loved me if I had a way to cook that! Seriously, the disappointment of winning a turkey and still not getting to enjoy eating it was far worse than never winning at all (I didn't expect to win, and just bought the chance to contribute to the charity).
:rofl: You have the same luck I do.

Evo said:
It wasn't a bonus. My boss was recently promoted and an old customer of his placed an order that paid out $5,000, since he can't take it, he wanted to split the money among us, but the director said that the compensation plan won't allow for splits (it doesn't). So one person got a nice freebie.
The compensation plan doesn't allow for splits, but it allows for raffles on some amount ($5K) to be handed out to whomever is around on Friday afternoon? I find this practice rather unsettling.

Ostensibly the three persons would equally deserve such a prize, and the only fair thing to do is split the $5k.

Astronuc said:
The compensation plan doesn't allow for splits, but it allows for raffles on some amount ($5K) to be handed out to whomever is around on Friday afternoon? I find this practice rather unsettling.

Ostensibly the three persons would equally deserve such a prize, and the only fair thing to do is split the $5k.
I found it very unsettling also. I like the girl that won and it's certainly not her fault, but it left bad feelings overall. Not only is it money, but it retires quota which affects your job performance rating, pay raises, etc... It will be on her record that she sold this. Since our company has announced more layoffs, this could cause another person to lose their job if she is ranked higher than them because of this. There is just a long list of why it's wrong.

Perhaps a better way would have been to award it to the highest acheiver as a reward. Or not to award it to anyone. Although I could use the money, I have mixed feelings about if I had won.

Since it seems a rather unfair advantage to whoever got the money for absolutely nothing I think the best thing that could have been does was to not offer it at all. Perhaps there could have been a way for it to be donated to a local charity that everyone in the office found worthy.

Evo said:
I found it very unsettling also. I like the girl that won and it's certainly not her fault, but it left bad feelings overall. Not only is it money, but it retires quota which affects your job performance rating, pay raises, etc... It will be on her record that she sold this. Since our company has announced more layoffs, this could cause another person to lose their job if she is ranked higher than them because of this. There is just a long list of why it's wrong.
The bolded stuff is even more bizarre! This is just mind-boggling!

Since one of three could have won the lottery, how does the company justify giving credit for the sale? The winner simply won a draw in a lottery.

All the more reason I wouldn't like working in a large company.

Last week I was contacted by a head-hunter to see if I was interested in a management position at a sizeable architecture-engineering firm. I have no idea how they got my name - which is very disconcerting. I'd be quite pleased if the AE were to use our services though. :biggrin:

Astronuc said:
The bolded stuff is even more bizarre! This is just mind-boggling!

Since one of three could have won the lottery, how does the company justify giving credit for the sale? The winner simply won a draw in a lottery.

All the more reason I wouldn't like working in a large company.

I agree. That sounds just plain nuts!

I've never won anything and I always put my name into contests! Just last weekend at the motorcycle show I missed out on winning a new motorcycle in a draw and missed out on a motorcycle trip to Alaska . My sister on the other hand, it doesn't matter what the contest it, her name will get drawn every time! Some people have all the luck!

Wow Evo, tough luck. :cry:

BUT it could be worse.

I work for a High Priced multinational which within the last few months has changed our vacation policy and replaced our profit sharing with a performance bonus. Now only the higher ranked employees get a bonus.

One of my coworkers sent an email complaining about his failure to get a bonus to...the CEO.

Evidently the head of our site received a message that the company does not need that kind of attidute in the work force. The shift sup for my coworker received a message to read to my now ex coworker, and they walked him out the door. I have no idea what he said in the email to the CEO. But he had been with the company for about 20yrs.

So Evo, don't complain to your boss's boss about not getting your bonus.

BTW.. yes.. I got a nice bonus.

Last edited:
Integral said:
Evidently the head of our site received a message that the company does not need that kind of attidute in the work force. The shift sup for my coworker received a message to read to my now ex coworker, and they walked him out the door. I have no idea what he said in the email to the CEO. But he had been with the company for about 20yrs.

Yikes, that's harsh!

lisab said:
Yikes, that's harsh!

I thought so.

The phrase that came to my mind was: "The beatings will continue until moral improves".

Integral said:
I thought so.

The phrase that came to my mind was: "The beatings will continue until moral improves".
:rofl: Integral, what you posted previously about your co-worker sounds awful and not unlike speaking the truth at my company. (glad you got your bonus though)

Funny, For 2 years I said that our CEO was a moron and I was told to shut up. Recently our CEO was ousted by our shareholders for being incompetant. 'nuff said. I REALLY hate suck ups that are afraid to speak the truth, but they get the perks, I don't, I am a pariah.