Is rubbing alcohol and anticoagulant

• Thread starter hxtasy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Alcohol
In summary, putting alcohol on a cut does not help stop the bleeding, but rather disinfects the wound. Drinking alcohol thins the blood, which can prolong bleeding, and it also causes your arteries to relax, increasing blood flow to your extremities and making you feel warmer. However, this is not beneficial if you are in danger of hypothermia as it defeats your body's natural defense mechanism.
hxtasy
Question as stated. Just wondering because when i get cuts i put rubbing alcohol on it, but i have come to believe that that does not help the bleeding to stop.

Biology news on Phys.org
You put alcohol on a cut to disinfect it, not to stop the bleeding. While you're cleaning a wound, you're physically washing away the clot, so it will continue bleeding until you stop messing with it (but in some cases, letting it bleed for a little while is beneficial for helping flush out any contaminants, as long as it's not so much that you're risking your health with blood loss).

I don't know about direct application to a wound, but I can tell you as an alcoholic that drinking alcohol (not the rubbing variety) thins the blood and will thus prolong bleeding.

danger,

Do you know why drinking alcohol thins the blood, What is the mechanism? thanks

I also wondered why people say to drink alcohol when you are cold, i thought that was a myth and that you may feel warmer but because of the thinner blood it's actually bad for you. anyone know about this?

Alcohol is a vasodilator. It causes your arteries to relax, increasing blood to your extremities and other non-survival-critical organs such as your stomach, making them flush with warmth.

This may make you feel better short-term, but it is actually a bad idea in principle. The reason your extremities are cold is because your body is shutting down blood-supply to non-core organs in an attempt to keep your core temperature stable. Losing core temp. is what will kill you, not frozen limbs.

Alcohol completely defeats this natural life-saving defense.

The upshot is that alocohol will only help you warm up if you are not in danger of suffering from hypothermia.

Last edited:

1. Is rubbing alcohol an anticoagulant?

No, rubbing alcohol is not an anticoagulant. It is a disinfectant that is used to clean and sterilize wounds or surfaces.

2. Can rubbing alcohol be used as an anticoagulant?

No, rubbing alcohol should not be used as an anticoagulant. It does not have the same properties as anticoagulants, which are specifically designed to prevent blood clotting.

3. What is the purpose of an anticoagulant?

An anticoagulant is a medication used to prevent or reduce the formation of blood clots in the body. It is commonly used to treat or prevent conditions such as deep vein thrombosis, pulmonary embolism, and stroke.

4. Are there any risks associated with using rubbing alcohol as an anticoagulant?

Yes, there are potential risks and side effects associated with using rubbing alcohol as an anticoagulant. Rubbing alcohol can cause skin irritation and allergic reactions. It is also not as effective as prescribed anticoagulant medications and may not provide the same level of protection against blood clots.

5. Are there any alternatives to anticoagulant medications?

Yes, there are alternative treatments for certain conditions that may not require anticoagulant medications. These include lifestyle changes, such as quitting smoking and maintaining a healthy weight, and using compression stockings to improve blood flow. However, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional before making any changes to your treatment plan.