Differential Geometery: 3-forms on a surface

In summary: It's because there are three vectors that are linearly independent and the form can't exist because it would involve three vectors that are linearly dependent.
SNOOTCHIEBOOCHEE
3-forms on a surface. They are equal to 0. i know this. What i don't know is how to prove it.

This is not a homework question, but my final is tomorrow, and this is a fair question he might ask.

All i can think of is the following

Let dx and dy be one forms

dx^dy would be two form

if we take the differential of that it would be a 3 form, so we get the following

d(dx^dy) = d(dx)^dy + dx^d(dy) by leibniz rule, which is 0 +0.

I know this proof is not good enough cause it is only a special case, and doesn't even take into account that we are on a surface.

So could somebody please help me outline a proof?

Physics news on Phys.org
A 3-form is a totally antisymmetric linear form on vectors. E.g. f(x,y,z)=-f(y,x,z) and etc for all transpositions of the vectors x,y,z. If x,y,z are from a two dimensional space then at most two of them are linearly independent. Why does this mean f must be 0?

Well if at most 2 of them are linearly independent, then this implies that in 2d space

x=u
y=v
z= av + bu

Thus f(u,v, av+bu) = f(u,v,av) + f(u,v,bu) ...

actually that's probably not right, and I am stuck.

What would f(u,v,v) and f(u,v,u) be if f is totally antisymmetric? Remember f is linear, you can pull the constants out.

If it is anti-symetric then

f(u,v,v)= - f(u,v,v) (i switched the v's there)

Thus f must be 0That good enough?

Well, f(u,v,v) is always zero if it's antisymmetric (symmetric has 2 m's in it). f doesn't need to be zero on any combination of vectors if the underlying space has more than two dimensions. Look at it this way. f is determined by the values of f(ei,ej,ek) where ei,ej,ek are basis vectors. If the vector space is two dimensional, it only has two basis vectors. Do you see why that means a 3-form on a surface vanishes?

1. What is differential geometry?

Differential geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties and behavior of curves, surfaces, and other geometric objects using the tools of calculus and linear algebra.

2. What are 3-forms on a surface?

3-forms on a surface are mathematical objects that describe the curvature and orientation of a surface in three-dimensional space. They are used in differential geometry to study the intrinsic properties of surfaces, independent of any specific coordinate system.

3. How are 3-forms on a surface calculated?

3-forms on a surface are calculated using the exterior derivative, which is a mathematical operation that takes a differential form of one degree and returns a differential form of the next higher degree. In the case of 3-forms on a surface, the exterior derivative is applied to a 2-form to obtain a 3-form.

4. What is the significance of 3-forms on a surface?

3-forms on a surface are important in differential geometry because they provide a way to measure the curvature and orientation of a surface without relying on a specific coordinate system. This makes them useful for studying the intrinsic properties of surfaces and for solving problems in physics and engineering that involve curved surfaces.

5. How are 3-forms on a surface used in real-world applications?

3-forms on a surface have many practical applications, such as in computer graphics, where they are used to model and render smooth surfaces. They are also used in physics, particularly in the study of electromagnetism and general relativity, where they help describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields and the curvature of spacetime.