Getting Started with Physics: Intro Resources for Beginners

In summary, for someone looking for introductory resources for physics, it is recommended to start with a textbook on linear and 2 dimensional motion, which progresses into Newtons laws, forces, and other basic motion situations. It is important to mention your level of schooling and previous math and physics courses taken for more specific recommendations. A helpful website for understanding basic physics is suggested, with the advice to also practice solving problems to improve understanding.
rooben
Can anyone recommend the best introductory resources for physics. resources for someone who has just started to learn the basics would be good.

Physics news on Phys.org
Short of knowing basic algebra and math you should pick up a textbook on linear and 2 dimensional motion. The book will progress into Newtons laws, forces, friction, collisions, and other basic motion situations.

rooben said:
Can anyone recommend the best introductory resources for physics. resources for someone who has just started to learn the basics would be good.

You should probably say what level of schooling you have reached (high school, college, etc) and what math and physics courses you have taken before if you want useful advice about this.

I am looking for high school level resourses

Have you taken calculus? Have you taken ANY physics before?

I have taken cxc level physics but I had a hard time understanding physics. so i would like some thing simple to start with.

I don't know what "cxc level physics" is but I think I have an idea where you stand now. I would recommend the following website:

http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/Phys/Class/BBoard.html [Broken]

in order to improve your understanding of the basic physics. The author explains things very clearly and thoroughly with lots of visual aids that make it easy to read. You will also need to find a source of problems to work through since you cannot learn physics without doing problems. For that I'm not really sure what to tell you but for a start you could go back to the problems that you had difficulty in the course you referred to.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks a lot for the link.

1. What is the best way to start learning physics as a beginner?

The best way to start learning physics as a beginner is to first familiarize yourself with basic mathematical concepts such as algebra and trigonometry. Once you have a good understanding of these concepts, you can dive into introductory physics textbooks or online resources that cover the fundamentals of physics, such as mechanics, heat and thermodynamics, and electromagnetism. It is also helpful to practice problem-solving and critical thinking skills through hands-on experiments and activities.

2. Are there any recommended online resources for beginners to learn physics?

Yes, there are many great online resources available for beginners to learn physics. Some popular ones include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Physics Classroom. These resources offer comprehensive lessons, interactive simulations, and practice problems for various physics topics.

3. How important is it to have a strong math background for learning physics?

A strong math background is essential for learning physics. Physics is a mathematical science, and many concepts and principles are expressed through equations and mathematical formulas. Without a solid understanding of math, it can be challenging to grasp the more complex ideas in physics. Therefore, it is crucial to have a good foundation in math before delving into physics.

4. What is the best way to approach difficult concepts in physics?

The best way to approach difficult concepts in physics is to break them down into smaller, more manageable parts. Start by understanding the basic principles and then gradually build upon them to grasp the more complex ideas. It is also helpful to use visual aids such as diagrams or simulations to better understand the concepts. Additionally, practicing problems and seeking help from teachers or peers can also aid in understanding difficult concepts.

5. How can I apply my knowledge of physics to real-world situations?

Physics is all around us, and its principles can be applied to various real-world situations. For example, understanding the laws of motion can help explain how objects move and interact with each other, while knowledge of thermodynamics can help with energy-efficient design and technologies. Additionally, many careers, such as engineering and medicine, also utilize principles of physics in their fields. It is essential to make connections between what you learn in physics and its applications in the real world to better understand and appreciate the subject.