Another Measurement of Speed of Light

In summary, the experiment to measure the speed of light using the Fizeau apparatus involved a distance of 11.45 km and a wheel with 720 notches. The calculated value for the speed of light was 2.889 x 10^8 m/s. To determine the minimum angular speed of the wheel, the equation c = 2d/t was used, resulting in a value of 7.638 x 10^-5 s for t. However, there was a mistake in the calculation of \theta, which should be 1/720 rev instead of 1/440 rev. This results in a minimum angular speed of 114 rad/s, which is consistent with the book's answer.
clairez93

Homework Statement

In an experiment to measure the speed of light using the apparatus of Fizeau, the distance between light source and mirror was 11.45 km and the wheel had 720 notches. The experimentally determined value of c was 2.889 x 10^8 m/s. Calculate the minimum angular speed of the wheel for this experiment.

Homework Equations

c = 2d/t
t = theta/w

The Attempt at a Solution

2.998 x 10^8 m/s = 2(11450m) / t
t = 7.638 x 10^-5 s

7.368 x 10^-5 = (1/440 rev) / w
w = 9.091 rev/s
9.091 * 2pi = 57.12 rad/s

Book answer: 114 rad/s

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry about the earlier empty message; I hit enter too early. I am not sure what mistake I have mdae in my calculations, and if someone could look it over and help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

clairez93 said:
7.368 x 10^-5 = (1/440 rev) / w

Why is [itex]\theta[/itex] equal to 1/1440 rev (I think that's what you meant). If there are 720 notches, then [itex]\theta=1/720[/itex] rev. That will give you the right answer.

1. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is a fundamental physical constant that represents the speed at which light travels in a vacuum. It is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second or 186,282 miles per second.

2. How is the speed of light measured?

The speed of light can be measured using various methods, including the use of lasers, interferometry, and the analysis of electromagnetic waves. These methods involve precise measurements of distance and time to calculate the speed of light.

3. Why is it important to measure the speed of light?

The speed of light is a crucial parameter in many fields of science, including physics, astronomy, and telecommunications. It is essential for understanding the behavior of light and other electromagnetic radiation and has significant implications in our understanding of the universe.

4. Has the speed of light always been the same?

According to the theory of general relativity, the speed of light is a constant and has not changed over time. However, some scientific theories, such as the varying speed of light theory, suggest that the speed of light may have been different in the past.

5. How accurate are current measurements of the speed of light?

The current measurements of the speed of light are highly accurate, with the most recent value being known to 10 significant figures. However, as technology and measurement techniques continue to advance, it is possible that even more precise measurements may be achieved in the future.