How does the universe end? Show the final equation.

In summary, according to some people the universe could end today due to an experiment at CERN Geneva. However, as of 24 h ago, it looked like the universe was still ongoing.
phyzmatix

Homework Statement

You are now familiar with the relationship between enthalpy, entropy, free energy and work. How does the universe end? Show the final equation.

Homework Equations

The only thing I can think of that might be relevant is

[tex]\Delta G^{\circ}= \Delta H^{\circ} \ - \ T \Delta S^{\circ}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know where to start. My problem lies in the fact that I'm not sure exactly what the question entails.

What state would signify "the end of the universe" to be exact?

Any ideas?

Thanks!
phyz

Physics news on Phys.org
Does the lack of response mean everybody else is also stumped?

:cry:

… quick! … just got time! …

phyzmatix said:
I don't really know where to start. My problem lies in the fact that I'm not sure exactly what the question entails.

What state would signify "the end of the universe" to be exact?

Any ideas?
phyzmatix said:
Does the lack of response mean everybody else is also stumped?

:cry:

Hi phyzmatix! :smile:

Well, if the universe is ending, we can't be bothered to answer! :wink:

:smile: but maybe it isn't … so … :smile:

I'll guess they're asking for the limiting value, as time tends to infinity, of energy (or entropy or …) per unit volume. :smile:

… got to go … ! :smile:

I suspect the question is asking about "heat death". Since the entropy is always increasing, your equation says that, eventually, there will be no free energy- all motion will be randomize, the temperature will be constant throughout the universe and so no work can be done.

I would go with the second law of thermodynamics as the equation describing the end of the universe:

[tex]\Delta S_{universe} \geq 0[/tex]

My initial thought was that it must be a state of zero free energy and it seems like you tend towards the same conclusion. Since the equation I quoted above isn't necessarily a MUST use, I'll play around with the ideas you've given me and sit on it a while longer. See what I can reference from my textbooks.

Thanks everyone for your input :smile:

(PS Tiny-Tim, if the universe comes to an end any time soon, I'll be PISSED! :grumpy: :rofl:)

phyzmatix said:
(PS Tiny-Tim, if the universe comes to an end any time soon, I'll be PISSED! :grumpy: :rofl:)

:biggrin: I'll get the beers in! :biggrin:

tiny-tim said:
:biggrin: I'll get the beers in! :biggrin:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

"From nothing
it came;
to nothing,
shall it return".

I thought everyone knew that. Scientists may one day be surprised how close the relationship is between the nothing and the infinite. IMHO.

nothing …

King Lear said:
Nothing shall come of nothing.

There's no such thing as a free quark! :wink:

PhanthomJay said:
"From nothing
it came;
to nothing,
shall it return".

I thought everyone knew that. Scientists may one day be surprised how close the relationship is between the nothing and the infinite. IMHO.

How would you put that into an equation format involving the above-mentioned concepts of entropy, enthalpy etc?

:wink:

I would not have answered this question any other day, but by coincidence according to some people the universe could end today due to an experiment due to happen at CERN Geneva. I cannot be sure therefore that you will see this. 24 h from now to be sure the universe has not ended check if there is a CERN press release confirming it, as that sort of thing is not widely reported in the ordinary papers because it does not sell copies.

1. How does the universe end?

The universe will likely end in one of three ways: the Big Crunch, the Big Freeze, or the Big Rip. The most widely accepted theory currently is the Big Freeze, where the universe will continue to expand until all matter and energy is spread out and no longer able to sustain life.

2. What is the Big Crunch theory?

The Big Crunch theory suggests that the universe will eventually stop expanding and start contracting, bringing all matter and energy back together in a massive collapse. This would result in a singularity, similar to the Big Bang that created the universe.

3. What is the Big Freeze theory?

The Big Freeze theory proposes that the universe will continue to expand indefinitely, causing all matter and energy to become increasingly spread out and cold. Eventually, all stars will burn out and life will cease to exist.

4. What is the Big Rip theory?

The Big Rip theory is the most extreme of the three, suggesting that the expansion of the universe will accelerate and eventually tear apart all matter, including atoms and subatomic particles. This would result in a state of infinite expansion and the end of all physical structures.

5. Can the end of the universe be predicted with an equation?

There is no definitive equation that can predict the exact end of the universe. However, there are several theories and equations, such as Einstein's theory of general relativity, that attempt to explain and predict the fate of the universe. Ultimately, the end of the universe is still a mystery and subject to ongoing scientific research and speculation.