Finding Equations of Vector Line Perpendicular to another Vector Line

In summary, Line 1's equation is given as r(t) = <t, t, 1-t>. Line 2 passes through the origin and is perpendicular to line 1. Find the equation of line 2.
lkh1986

Homework Statement

Line 1's equation is given as r(t) = <t, t, 1-t>. Line 2 passes through the origin and is perpendicular to line 1. Find the equation of line 2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If it is a 2-D case then it would be a lot easier, since m1 x m2 = -1. However, this is a 3-D case.

Anyway, here is my attempt.
I know that the dot product of two vector lines equals 0 iff they are perpendicular.
Line 1, r(t) = <t, t, 1-t> = <0, 0, 1> + t <1, 1, -1>
Line 2, s(t) = <0, 0, 0> + u <a, b, c>.
So I need to find the value of a, b and c.
<1, 1, -1> dot <a, b, c> = 0
a + b - c = 0.
Let a = b = 1, so c = 2.
So the equation of line 2 is s(t) = <0, 0, 0> + u <1, 1, 2>.

The answer and method seems plausible to me.

However, I remember seeing somewhere in the book where in order to solve this kind of problem, we need to find the equation of the plane that contains the first line. Then, find the equation of another plane and the intersection of this 2 planes is the equation of the line 2. This is done by using the cross product of 2 normal lines.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I started to say you were completely correct and then had to stop and think!
You made a very lucky (or intelligent) choice of a and b! Yes, two vectors are perpendicular if and only if their dot product is 0 so you are correct that <1,1,2> is perpendicular to <1, 1, -1>. But in order that two lines be perpendicular they must also intersect! Do the lines given by <t, t, 1-t> and <u, u, 2u> intersect? Look at t= u, t= u, 1-t= 2u. Obviously, from the first two equations, t= u and so the third becomes 1-t= 2t so 1= 3t and t= u= 1/3. Yes, the two lines intersect at <1/3, 1/3, 2/3> so your answer is correct.

But do you see that two lines may be "skew"? For example, the line given by <0, 0, t> (the z-axis) and the line given by <u+1, u, 0> are perpendicular- their direction vectors are <0, 0, t> and <1, 1, 0>. But they do not intersect.

A more general method is to recognize that there is, as you say a whole plane of lines perpendicular to any given line, through a given point. From you dot product, a+ b- c= 0, you chose a= 1, b= 1 and so c= 0. In fact, c= a+b so the vector <a, b, a+b> is perpendicular to <1, 1, -1> for any a,b and the line given by <au, bu, (a+b)u> is perpendicular to <t, t, -t> for all a and b. (Note that a plane is two dimensional. We need the two parameters, a and b, to describe the plane.)

Now, which of the lines given by <au, bu, (a+b)u> will intersect <t, t, -t>? Again, we must have au= t, bu= t, and (a+b)u= -t. From the first equation, t= au so the second equation becomes bu= au and we must have b= a for that to be true. In that case, a+b= 2a and the third equation becomes 2au= -au so, again, u= 1/3. The line given by <au, au, 2au>, for any a, will pass through (0,0,0) and be perpendicular to <t, t, -t> (and in particular, b= a= 1).

Oh yeah... They must intercept... I miss out that one. Let me try again one more time.

HallsofIvy said:
In that case, a+b= 2a and the third equation becomes 2au= -au so, again, u= 1/3.

Nice explanation, HallsofIvy. Now let me try do solve it and rephrase it in my own understanding.

Let the equation of line 2 be <a, b, c>. So, <a, b, c> dot <1, 1, -1> = 0. So we have a + b - c = 0. And then c = a + b. This gives us u<a, b, a+b>. Another vector is t<1, 1, -1>.

Since the two lines intercept each other, we also have u<a, b, a+b> = t<1, 1, -1>.
We have ua = t, ub = t, u(a+b) = -t
ua = ub => u(a-b) = 0. u cannot equal to 0, so a - b = 0 => a = b
u(a + b) = -t
u(2a) = -ua
2ua + ua = 0
3ua = 0
Oops, since that either u = 0 or a = 0.
So, since u can't be 0, we need a = 0, which also implies b = 0.
I am getting nothing here. Hm..

1. What is a vector line?

A vector line is a line that is represented by a vector. It has both magnitude and direction, and can be used to describe the movement of an object in space.

2. How do you find the equation of a vector line?

To find the equation of a vector line, you need to know the coordinates of two points on the line. Then, you can use the formula y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept, to write the equation in the form y = mx + b.

3. How do you find a vector line perpendicular to another vector line?

To find a vector line perpendicular to another vector line, you need to use the dot product. The dot product of two perpendicular vectors is equal to zero. So, you can set up an equation using the dot product and solve for the unknown variables to find the perpendicular vector line.

4. Can you explain the concept of perpendicular vectors?

Perpendicular vectors are two vectors that are at right angles to each other. This means that their dot product is equal to zero. In other words, the direction of one vector is perpendicular to the direction of the other vector.

5. How can finding equations of vector lines be applied in real life?

Finding equations of vector lines has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. For example, it can be used to calculate the movement of objects in space, design structures that can withstand forces from multiple directions, and create 3D models of objects on a computer.