Find all ordered pairs (x, y) that satisfy the system of equations

In summary: Can you solve that? So, yes, 3 is one number that makes the function undefined. Are there any others?
hancyu
1. Find all ordered pairs (x, y) that satisfy the system of equations given below:
* (x + 1)^2 + |(x + 1)(y − 2)| + (y − 2)^2 = 7
* x^2 + y^2 + 2x − 4y − 5 = 0

2. If the area of a certain rectangle is 48, and the length of its diagonal is 10, find its perimeter.

here's what i did.

1. 2nd equation is equal to "(x+1)^2+(y-2)^2=10"
what should i do next?

2. i know that the answer to this is 28 because the sides are equal to 6 & 8... but how do i solve for it?

Physics news on Phys.org
The second equation is the 'standard form' of a shape you should be familiar with at this time.

I'm not sure how you found the answer to 3, since you don't have any work to present (trial and error?)

Try drawing a rectangle, one side labeled [tex] x [/tex], the other [tex] y [/tex]. Since the area is [tex] 48 [/tex], you know that [tex] xy = 48 [/tex] so

[tex]
y = \frac{48} x
[/tex]

Now substitute into the formula for finding the known length of the diagonal and solve.

For your first question, I have a question. Did you intend to type

[tex]
(x+1)^2 + (x+1)(y-2) + (y-2)^2 = 7
[/tex]

or was it what I have below, with the middle term in absolute values? (this is what seems to appear)

[tex]
(x+1)^2 + |(x+1)(y-2)| + (y-2)^2 = 7
[/tex]

I'm guessing there aren't any absolute value signs in the original problem.

actually, there are absolute value signs.

so... in the 2nd question.

(48/x)^2 + x^2 = 100

2304/(w^2) + (w^2) = 100

[2304 + (w^4)]/ (w^2) = 100

what should i do to get rid of those exponents?

hancyu said:
1. Find all ordered pairs (x, y) that satisfy the system of equations given below:
* (x + 1)^2 + |(x + 1)(y − 2)| + (y − 2)^2 = 7
* x^2 + y^2 + 2x − 4y − 5 = 0
2. If the area of a certain rectangle is 48, and the length of its diagonal is 10, find its perimeter.

here's what i did.

1. 2nd equation is equal to "(x+1)^2+(y-2)^2=10"
what should i do next?
From the second equation you know, as you say, that (x+1)2+ (y-2)2= 10. You can replace those same terms in the first equation by 10:
(x+1)2+ |(x+1)(y-2)|+ (y-2)2= 7 becomes
|(x+1)(y-2)|+ 10= 7 or |(x+1)(y-2)|= -3. Now, what values of x and y satify that?

2. i know that the answer to this is 28 because the sides are equal to 6 & 8... but how do i solve for it?
If the sides have length x and y, then you know that xy= 48 and x2+ y2= 10. You need to solve those two equations. From the first, y= 48/x so the second becomes x2+ 482/x2= 10. Multiply both sides of the equation by x2 and you get a quadratic equation for x2.

hancyu said:
so... in the 2nd question.

(48/x)^2 + x^2 = 100

2304/(w^2) + (w^2) = 100

[2304 + (w^4)]/ (w^2) = 100

what should i do to get rid of those exponents?

Multiply both sides of the equation to get 2304+ w4= 100w2 which is the same as (w2)2- 100(w2)+ 2304= 0, a quadratic equation in w2.

HallsofIvy said:
From the second equation you know, as you say, that (x+1)2+ (y-2)2= 10. You can replace those same terms in the first equation by 10:
(x+1)2+ |(x+1)(y-2)|+ (y-2)2= 7 becomes
|(x+1)(y-2)|+ 10= 7 or |(x+1)(y-2)|= -3. Now, what values of x and y satify that?
none? coz absolute values can nver be negative,ryt?

If the sides have length x and y, then you know that xy= 48 and x2+ y2= 10. You need to solve those two equations. From the first, y= 48/x so the second becomes x2+ 482/x2= 10. Multiply both sides of the equation by x2 and you get a quadratic equation for x2.

so x^2 = 64

x= 8

y = 6?

3. Find the domain of the following functions:
(a) f(x) =
(x^2 − 1)^(1/3) − 1 / [|3-x| - (x-3)^(1/3) - 3]

(b) f(x) =
(x^2 − 2x + 1)^(1/2) / [|2x − 3| + 1]

(c) f(x) = x^3 / (|3 − x| − (x – 3)^(1/3))

how do i do these?

The domain of a rational function depends only on the denominator, as long as there are no radicals or even roots in the numerator.
The domain for each can be found by determining all numbers (if any) that make the denominator zero: once those values are eliminated, the domain is all values that remain.

for a. x>12

b. all real #s

c.how do i do this?

hancyu said:
for a. x>12

b. all real #s

c.how do i do this?

hancyu said:
3. Find the domain of the following functions:
(a) f(x) =
(x^2 − 1)^(1/3) − 1 / [|3-x| - (x-3)^(1/3) - 3]

(b) f(x) =
(x^2 − 2x + 1)^(1/2) / [|2x − 3| + 1]

(c) f(x) = x^3 / (|3 − x| − (x – 3)^(1/3))

how do i do these?
What values of x make |3- x|- (x-3)1/3= 0?

HallsofIvy said:
What values of x make |3- x|- (x-3)1/3= 0?

is the answer 3? how about the other numbers, are they correct?

I asked a question you are supposed to ANSWER, not ask another question!

|3-x|- (x-3)1/3= 0 is the same as |x- 3|= (x-3)1/3.

Now, suppose x> 3. then |x-3|= x- 3= (x-3)1/3. Can you solve that?

If x< 3, then |x-3|= 3- x= (x-3)1/3.

1. What is the purpose of finding all ordered pairs (x, y) that satisfy a system of equations?

The purpose is to determine the values of x and y that make both equations true at the same time. This can help to solve problems and equations in different fields of science and mathematics.

2. How do you solve a system of equations to find all ordered pairs (x, y)?

There are multiple methods to solve a system of equations, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equations to isolate one variable and then using that value to solve for the other variable.

3. Can a system of equations have more than one solution?

Yes, a system of equations can have infinitely many solutions, one solution, or no solution. It depends on the equations and their relationship to each other.

4. Can a system of equations with two variables have more than one ordered pair (x, y) that satisfies it?

Yes, a system of equations with two variables can have multiple ordered pairs that satisfy it. This is because there are infinite combinations of values for x and y that can make the equations true.

5. How can finding all ordered pairs (x, y) that satisfy a system of equations be applied in the real world?

Finding all ordered pairs (x, y) can be used to solve practical problems in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. For example, it can be used to find the optimal solution for a business problem or to determine the intersection point of two lines in a graph.