Evaluate the integral H.W

• Thread starter afcwestwarrior
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the homework equations are correct, but the arctan throws the student off. They need to integrate by parts to get the correct answer.
afcwestwarrior

Homework Statement

∫arctan 4t dt

Homework Equations

integration by parts
∫u dv= uv- ∫v du

3. The attempt at a
u=arctan dv=4tdt
du=1/x^2+1 v=t/2

are these correct, the arctan throws me off

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\int arctan(4t) dt[/tex]

u=arctan(4t)
dv=dt

not what you have.

du=?
dv=t

Whats the derivative of arctan(x)? Use the chain rule for arctan(4t)

the derivative for arctan x is 1/1+x^2 and the chain makes it look like (4) 4t/1+x^2

afcwestwarrior said:
the derivative for arctan x is 1/1+x^2 and the chain makes it look like (4) 4t/1+x^2

if x=4t

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(arctan(x))=\frac{1}{1+x^2}[/tex]

so get the differential of arctan(4t), you'll need to multiply [itex]\frac{d}{dx}(arctan(x))[/itex] by [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex]. What does this give you?

it'll be 4t/1+x^2

man I am confused

You're working in t, not x. As said earlier, use the chain rule for this. Let u=4t. d/dt arctan (4t) = du/dt d/du arctan(u). Express everything in t when you're done.

Let y=arctan(4t).

Let u=4t.

So we have y=arctan(u). What is dy/du?What is du/dt?

EDIT: ahh Defennder, you type fast

I'm pretty damn confused here as well. Half these posts are showing him how to find the derivative when he wants to know the antiderivative lol. I mean sure, its probably more important to know the derivative first, but that's not what he asked for.

Hint :
u=arctan(4t), dv=dt

It'll work. (Just as you integrate log(x)).

afcwestwarrior said:

Homework Statement

∫arctan 4t dt

Homework Equations

integration by parts
∫u dv= uv- ∫v du

3. The attempt at a
u=arctan dv=4tdt
du=1/x^2+1 v=t/2

are these correct, the arctan throws me off
Surely you understand that "arctan 4t" does NOT mean "arctan" time "4t"! "arctan" without a variable is meaningless.

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is also used to calculate the total accumulation of a quantity over a given interval.

How is an integral evaluated?

An integral can be evaluated using various techniques, such as the fundamental theorem of calculus, substitution, or integration by parts. The method used depends on the complexity of the integral.

Why is it important to evaluate integrals?

Evaluating integrals is important in many fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. It allows us to calculate quantities such as displacement, velocity, and work, which are crucial in understanding the behavior of systems.

What are some common types of integrals?

Some common types of integrals include definite integrals, indefinite integrals, improper integrals, and multiple integrals. Each type serves a different purpose and has its own set of rules and techniques for evaluation.

Can integrals be evaluated numerically?

Yes, integrals can also be evaluated numerically using methods such as the trapezoidal rule, Simpson's rule, or the Monte Carlo method. These methods are useful when an integral cannot be evaluated analytically.