Confined Volume Calculation: How to Determine the Volume Within a Given Surface?

• Thread starter supercali
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, the problem is to calculate the volume confined within the surface defined by the equation (x+y+z)^2 + (2x+y+z)^2 + (3x+4y+z)^2 = 4. The attempted solution involves using different variables and performing a transformation to spherical coordinates, but the specific choice of coordinates and Jacobian needed for the transformation is unclear.
supercali

Homework Statement

calculate the volume confined within this surface
[tex]
\left( x+y+z \right) ^{2}+ \left( 2\,x+y+z \right) ^{2}+ \left( 3\,x+
4\,y+z \right) ^{2}=4
[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i know that i need to use different variables but i just can't make it

Physics news on Phys.org
What choice of coordinates will turn that into a sphere u^2+v^2+w^2=4??

Dick said:
What choice of coordinates will turn that into a sphere u^2+v^2+w^2=4??

even if i do choose
u=x+y+z
v=2x+y+z
w=3x+4y+z

which jacobian will i use?
because i need to use another transformation to spheerical coord...

Last edited:
never mind got iy thanks allot for the hint

What is "Ugly volume calculation"?

"Ugly volume calculation" is a term used in the scientific community to describe the process of determining the volume of an irregularly shaped object or substance, which is not easily measurable or calculable using traditional methods.

What makes volume calculation "ugly"?

Volume calculation can be considered "ugly" when the object or substance being measured does not have a regular shape, making it difficult to calculate using traditional formulas such as the volume of a cube or cylinder.

Why is "ugly volume calculation" important?

Ugly volume calculation is important because it allows scientists to accurately determine the volume of objects or substances that do not have a regular shape, which is crucial in many scientific fields such as chemistry, biology, and geology.

What are some methods used for "ugly volume calculation"?

Some commonly used methods for "ugly volume calculation" include displacement, which involves submerging the object in a known volume of liquid and measuring the change in volume, and integration, which involves using calculus to calculate the volume of irregular shapes.

How is "ugly volume calculation" used in real-world applications?

"Ugly volume calculation" is used in a wide range of real-world applications, such as measuring the volume of irregularly shaped rocks in geology, determining the volume of organs in medical imaging, and calculating the volume of air in a combustion engine in engineering.