Calculate this integral using Stokes

In summary, the vectors F and L intersect at the point (x-1)^2+ (y-2)^2=4. The vector differential of area is given by: \vec{n}dS=-2dxdy.
supercali

Homework Statement

let F be vector field:
[tex]\[\vec F = \cos (xyz)\hat j + (\cos (xyz) - 2x)\hat k\] [/tex]
let L be the the curve that intersects between the cylinder [tex](x - 1)^2 + (y - 2)^2 = 4
[/tex] and the plane y+z=3/2
calculate:
[tex]\[\left| {\int {\vec Fd\vec r} } \right|\][/tex]

Homework Equations

in order to solve this i thought of using the stokes theorem because the normal to the plane is [tex] \[\frac{1}{{\sqrt 2 }}(0,1,1)\] [/tex]
thus giving me
[tex]\oint{Fdr}=\int\int{curl(F)*n*ds}=\int\int{2\sqrt{2}*\sin(xyz)}[/tex]

i tried to parametries x y and z x= rcos(t)+1 y=rsin(t)+2 z=1/2-rsin(t)

but it won't work this that sin...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

I don't know the rules but you should probably stick to posting the same question in one place only?

supercali said:

Homework Statement

let F be vector field:
[tex]\[\vec F = \cos (xyz)\hat j + (\cos (xyz) - 2x)\hat k\] [/tex]
let L be the the curve that intersects between the cylinder [tex](x - 1)^2 + (y - 2)^2 = 4
[/tex] and the plane y+z=3/2
calculate:
[tex]\[\left| {\int {\vec Fd\vec r} } \right|\][/tex]

Homework Equations

in order to solve this i thought of using the stokes theorem because the normal to the plane is [tex] \[\frac{1}{{\sqrt 2 }}(0,1,1)\] [/tex]
thus giving me
[tex]\oint{Fdr}=\int\int{curl(F)*n*ds}=\int\int{2\sqrt{2}*\sin(xyz)}[/tex]

i tried to parametries x y and z x= rcos(t)+1 y=rsin(t)+2 z=1/2-rsin(t)

but it won't work this that sin...
The cylinder has radius 2 so you should have x= 2cos(t)+ 1, y= 2sin(t)+ 2, z= 3/2- y= -1/2- 2sin(t).

However, it is not clear to me what you are doing! You said you you wanted to use Stokes theorem so you should be integrating over the surface, not the boundary. The surface that curve bounds is given by y+ z= 3/2 so, using x and y as parameters, the "vector differential of area" [itex]d\vec{S}= \vec{n}dS= (\vec{j}+ \vec{k})dxdy[/itex]

I get [itex]\nabla\times F d\vec{S}= 2 dxdy[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
The cylinder has radius 2 so you should have x= 2cos(t)+ 1, y= 2sin(t)+ 2, z= 3/2- y= -1/2- 2sin(t).

However, it is not clear to me what you are doing! You said you you wanted to use Stokes theorem so you should be integrating over the surface, not the boundary. The surface that curve bounds is given by y+ z= 3/2 so, using x and y as parameters, the "vector differential of area" [itex]d\vec{S}= \vec{n}dS= (\vec{j}+ \vec{k})dxdy[/itex]

I get [itex]\nabla\times F d\vec{S}= 2 dxdy[/itex].

first of all sorry for posting twice it was by a mistake somthing got stuck and i didnt notice that it was already posted...

secondly Hall i kind of lost you here :"using x and y as parameters, the "vector differential of area" i didnt really understand that i do get it that the plane z+y=3/2 is the surface and that it is bounded by the cylinder but when claculating the curl(F) i just don't get it how does it disapear the sin(xyz)?

If [itex]\vec F = \cos (xyz)\vec j + (\cos (xyz) - 2x)\vec k[/itex]
Then [itex]\nabla\times \vec{F}= (xysin(xyz)-xzsin(xyz))\vec{i}+ (yzsin(xyz)+ 2)\vec{j}- yzsin(xyz)\vec{k}[/itex]

The dot product of that with [itex]\vec{j}+ \vec{k}[/itex], a normal vector to y+ z= 3/2, is 0(xysin(xyz)-xzsin(xyz))+ 1(yzsin(xyz)+ 2)+ 1(- yzsin(xyz)= 2.

Last edited by a moderator:

thanks dude
i really should sleep more because i simply made a calculation mistake this exam in calculus 2 will drive me nuts
thanks for the help alllot!

What is the Stokes' Theorem?

The Stokes' Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the surface integral of a vector field over a surface to the line integral of the same vector field around the boundary of the surface.

When is the Stokes' Theorem used?

The Stokes' Theorem is typically used in vector calculus to evaluate integrals over a surface, particularly in situations where the surface is difficult to parameterize.

What is the formula for the Stokes' Theorem?

The formula for the Stokes' Theorem is:
S (curl F) · dS = ∫C F · dr
where S is a surface bounded by a closed curve C, F is a vector field, and dr is the differential of the curve C.

How do you calculate an integral using the Stokes' Theorem?

To calculate an integral using the Stokes' Theorem, you must first evaluate the line integral of the vector field around the boundary of the surface. Then, you must calculate the curl of the vector field and take the dot product with the surface's normal vector. Lastly, integrate this dot product over the surface to obtain the final result.

What are the benefits of using the Stokes' Theorem?

The Stokes' Theorem provides a powerful tool for evaluating integrals over surfaces, as it reduces the calculation to a simpler line integral. It is also useful in solving physical problems involving the flow of fluids and electromagnetic fields.