Mastering Electrical Engineering: Core Classes and Textbooks to Brush Up On

• Thread starter NotoriousNick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, you might want to focus on acquiring a strong foundation in Linear System Theory, Control Systems, and Discrete Time Systems before moving on to more specific courses.
NotoriousNick
Hi guys,

I've been taking graduate EE courses. Must say I have been spending a lot of time in other textbooks and glossaries trying to fill in my blanks in probability theory, and still very very foggy on some core EE principles, namely Fourier analysis. I have purchased a book on signals and systems that I intend to go over, and I also would like to learn circuitry and understand that better. It's amazing to me when we go back to wave propagation with Maxwell how back at home I feel as a physics guy, but as as soon as we get into Impedance and then log-normal I'm a fish out of water.

Any advice on some core classes/ textbooks to brush up on so that way I truly feel as though I am mastering Electrical Engineering.

Thanks guys!PS

Why does a single pulse in time spread over time when sent over a band-limited channel?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome, Nick. It might be best if you asked your advisor about this, and clearly laid out what your MSEE specialty goals are. He/She should be able to help you map out what prerequisites you should probably self-study or take, in order to be able to better understand your grad MSEE courses.

What specialties are you interested in for your MSEE?

NotoriousNick said:
PS

Why does a single pulse in time spread over time when sent over a band-limited channel?

I think the short answer would be dispersion (different prop velocities for different frequencies). To be finite in the time domain, the pulse has a spread of component frequencies.

Thanks for the reply. I would but I do not have an advisor right now. I've been taking the courses online while working in hopes of getting accepted into the program full-time, that way I could have an advisor, financial aid, etc. all those good things.

I think I'd like to specialize in wireless systems or telecommunications.

NotoriousNick said:
I think I'd like to specialize in wireless systems or telecommunications.

i might suggest that you get down tight the concepts in Linear System Theory (a.k.a. "Signals and Systems"). it's pretty clean, mathematically, and can be presented and learned in a systematic and rigorous manner.

both for continuous-time and discrete-time systems.

this stuff is prerequisite for so many other EE disciplines (communications, control systems, distributed networks a.k.a. transmission lines, linear electric circuits, electronics, filters, analog signal processing, and DSP) that it's really pivotal to get this down. any Physics or Math grad (who was good at their physics and math) who gets the Linear System Theory down is in an excellent position to take on EE grad courses in a variety of specializations.

i can't say that i ever had a course that was specifically about Fourier Analysis (Stanford has a free online self-study course for this, btw, with a nice-looking text by Brad Osgood). we did, however, cover DFTs/FFTs in a DSP course. but otherwise, the frequency domain via fourier/laplace transform is the bread and butter of the profession. you could start with a simple linear circuits course if you are completely unfamiliar with circuitry. it should be all linear devices, coils/capacitors/resistors, and if you're lucky extend to mechanical analogs of this. here, you should get the intro to frequency domain representation of these devices. then, i'd suggest an undergraduate course on Control Systems, so that you get a good grasp on the use of transfer functions in the frequency domain, and get a chance to familiarize/memorize common transforms and the algebraic methods to manipulate them. that should be a good base for what you'll encounter.

i have mixed feelings about my experience with the electronics coursework. we spent a huge amount of time designing BJT amplifiers, which is about as useful as rolling a stone up a hill over and over, only to see it roll down again. people just buy a good op-amp instead and leave that stuff to the pros. maybe different in radio, i dunno, radio wasn't our strong point. but if you're into that, it will certainly give you quite a bit of practice looking at impedance in freq. domain.

and at some point, you'll need a good course in discrete time systems and use of the z-domain.

1. What are the core classes in electrical engineering?

The core classes in electrical engineering typically include courses in circuit analysis, electronics, electromagnetics, digital systems, and signal processing. These courses provide a strong foundation in the fundamentals of electrical engineering and are essential for mastering the subject.

2. What textbooks are recommended for mastering electrical engineering?

Some popular textbooks for mastering electrical engineering include "Microelectronic Circuits" by Sedra and Smith, "Electric Circuits" by Nilsson and Riedel, "Engineering Electromagnetics" by Hayt and Buck, "Digital Design" by Mano and Ciletti, and "Signals and Systems" by Oppenheim and Willsky. However, the best textbook will depend on the individual's learning style and the specific course being studied.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math to excel in electrical engineering?

Yes, a strong foundation in math is crucial for success in electrical engineering. Courses in calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and probability are all important for understanding and solving complex engineering problems. It is recommended to have a solid understanding of these subjects before diving into advanced electrical engineering concepts.

4. Are there any online resources available for mastering electrical engineering?

Yes, there are many online resources available for mastering electrical engineering. Some popular websites include Khan Academy, Coursera, and edX, which offer free courses and tutorials on various electrical engineering topics. Additionally, many universities and professional organizations have online resources and lecture materials available for students to access.

5. How can I apply my knowledge of electrical engineering in real-world settings?

There are many opportunities for electrical engineers to apply their knowledge in real-world settings. Some common industries that employ electrical engineers include telecommunications, power and energy, automotive, and aerospace. Additionally, many engineers work on research and development projects to develop new technologies and improve existing systems. Internships and hands-on projects can also provide valuable experience in applying electrical engineering principles to real-world problems.