Designing a parachute system/device

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenge of building a system that can activate a servo when the signal is lost between a machine and remote. The person is considering using a sensor to monitor the signal and activate the actuator, but is unsure if this is possible. They also mention the idea of using a transmiter and receiver to automate the process. However, there are concerns about the safety and effectiveness of using a DIY parachute trigger.
Panic Attack
I am trying to build a system to activate a servo at a unspecified point in time when a machine and remote looses their signal between another. When the signal is lost between the two, the new system must activate a servo. We are using radio transmitters, but I can't figure out how to tackle this problem. Any assistance would be LOVED!

The biggest problem I am having is how to link these three things together. I was thinking about using a sensor that monitors the 2-way signal between machine and remote with a LED, then the LED turns on or maybe stops the LED when the signal is lost, then activates the actuator... i don't know...

can i build a sensor that does this?

Should I buy transmiter and put it on the plane and connect the reciever to a circuit that activates the servo? I am trying to make this happen without me doing it manually. Does this make any sense?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You could have a spring loaded device that is prevented from tripping as long as the signal is present.

More important, I can't imagine any DIY parachute trigger meeting anyone's airworthiness criteria.

1. How do you determine the appropriate size and shape for a parachute?

To determine the appropriate size and shape for a parachute, a scientist must consider the weight of the object it will be carrying, the air density, and the desired descent rate. Using mathematical equations and aerodynamic principles, the scientist can calculate the necessary surface area and shape of the parachute to achieve a safe and controlled descent.

2. What materials are commonly used to make parachutes?

The most commonly used materials for parachute design are ripstop nylon or polyester fabric. These materials are lightweight, strong, and have a low coefficient of drag, making them ideal for parachute applications. Other materials such as Kevlar, Dacron, and Spectra may also be used for specific purposes.

3. How do you ensure the reliability of a parachute system?

To ensure the reliability of a parachute system, rigorous testing and quality control measures must be implemented. This includes conducting drop tests with various weights and conditions, as well as inspecting and repairing any damaged components. It is also important to follow proper packing and deployment procedures and regularly maintain the parachute system.

4. Can a parachute be designed for specific environments, such as high altitudes or extreme temperatures?

Yes, parachutes can be designed for specific environments. For example, high-altitude parachutes may require additional reinforcement and larger surface area to compensate for thinner air. Parachutes designed for extreme temperatures may use specialized materials that can withstand extreme heat or cold without compromising the integrity of the system.

5. What is the best way to deploy a parachute?

The best way to deploy a parachute is through a controlled release mechanism. This can be achieved through a static line, where the parachute is attached to the aircraft and deploys upon exiting, or through a manual deployment system, where the user pulls a ripcord to release the parachute. It is important to follow proper deployment procedures to ensure a safe and successful descent.