Numbers in Triangle Rows of 3 are equal rows of 4 are equal

In summary, The conversation is about finding answers to a specific puzzle involving a triangle with circles and numbers, where the sum of rows of 3 and rows of 4 must be equal. There are 12 different solutions to this puzzle, which are variations of 2 different patterns that can be rotated or flipped to create additional solutions.
Dragon_Wizard
Ok I'm new here and I don't know how to find answers to puzzles.

I've got a few and my brain isn't working.

Picture a triangle with circles in it. Place the numbers 1-10 in the circles on the triangle so that the sum of Rows of 3 are equal and the sum of rows of 4 are equal

O
O O
O O O
O O O O

(If the picture of the triangle doesn't come out it 1 circle on top, then 2, then 3 then 4. The perimeter has 4 circles on all three sides.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just to help with the picture, try to code tag

Code:
      o
    o  o
  o  o  o
o  o  o  o

I believe there are 12 solutions to this, which are variants on 2 different patterns. You can rotate by 120 degrees and get a "new" solution effectively, or flip it along one of the 3 axes of symmetry-- giving you 6 variants on a single solution, and 12 patterns all together, since there are 2 "core" solutions.

Two of the variants on the core solutions are:
7 8
3 4 10
9 5 6 1

8 6
4 7 5
9 3 1 10

DaveE

1. What is the significance of having equal numbers in triangle rows of 3 and 4?

Having equal numbers in triangle rows of 3 and 4 indicates a pattern or relationship between the two rows. It could also suggest that there is some mathematical rule or formula that connects these rows.

2. How are the numbers arranged in the triangle rows of 3 and 4?

The numbers in triangle rows of 3 and 4 are arranged in a way that each row has one more number than the previous row. For example, the first row has 3 numbers, the second row has 4 numbers, and so on.

3. Can this pattern of equal numbers in triangle rows of 3 and 4 be extended to other rows?

Yes, this pattern can be extended to other rows as well. As long as the rows follow the same rule of having one more number than the previous row, the numbers in the rows will be equal.

4. How can this pattern be used in real-life situations?

This pattern can be used in various real-life situations where numbers are involved. For example, it can be used in calculating the number of items in a pyramid or the number of seats in a theater with multiple rows.

5. Is there a specific name for this pattern of equal numbers in triangle rows of 3 and 4?

Yes, this is known as the Pascal's Triangle, named after the French mathematician Blaise Pascal who first described this pattern in the 17th century.