Search in gmail can't search partial words ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of being unable to search for emails with partial words in Gmail, unlike in Yahoo mail. The speaker expresses frustration with Gmail's alleged "superb search capabilities" and does not want to tag every single message to find it later. They ask if there is a way to override this behavior in Gmail and suggest using a wildcard, such as stu*, as a possible solution.
smallphi
search in gmail can't search partial words ?

I notice that my gmail can't find emails by searching with parts of words (like search for 'stup' instead of 'stupid') while yahoo mail can. As a result, I am simply unable to find my emails in gmail despite it's alleged 'superb search capabilities'. No, I am not going to tag every single message to find it later, I don't need to do that in yahoo HELLO ... Is there a way to override that stupid gmail behavior?

Computer science news on Phys.org

why not just type the whole word?

I don't use gmail, but surely there's some sort of wildcard, like stu*.

1. Why can't I search for partial words in Gmail?

Unfortunately, Gmail's search function is designed to only search for complete words. This means that if you search for "cat", it will only return emails that contain the word "cat" and not "cats" or "caterpillar".

2. Can I use wildcard characters in Gmail's search?

No, Gmail does not support wildcard characters such as "*" or "?". This means that you cannot use them to search for partial words or unknown characters.

3. Is there any way to work around Gmail's limitation in searching for partial words?

One workaround is to use quotation marks around the partial word you are searching for. For example, if you are looking for emails that contain "cat" or "cats", you can search for "cat" and it will return both results.

4. Why does Gmail have this limitation in its search function?

Gmail's search function is designed to be fast and efficient, and searching for partial words can slow down the process. Therefore, in order to provide a smooth user experience, Gmail only searches for complete words.

5. Are there any third-party tools or extensions that can help with searching for partial words in Gmail?

Yes, there are some third-party tools and extensions that can help with searching for partial words in Gmail. However, it is important to note that these may not be officially supported by Gmail and could potentially pose security risks. It is recommended to use them at your own discretion.