Calculte the Energy of 1 mole of photons - Help

In summary, to calculate the energy of one mole of photons of yellow laser light with a wavelength of 570 nm, we use the equation Ephoton= hc/wavelength. After converting the wavelength to meters and solving for the energy in joules, we convert to kilojoules and then multiply by Avogadro's constant to account for the fact that one mole of any substance contains 6.022 × 10E23 units. This gives us a final answer of 2.10x102 kJ.
lucky_star
Calculte the Energy of 1 mole of photons - Help!

Homework Statement

Calculate the energy, in kilojoules, of one mole of photons of yellow laser light of wavelength 570 nm.

The correct answer is: 2.10x102

Homework Equations

Ephoton= hc/wavelength

The Attempt at a Solution

Step by step:
1. Convert the wavelength of 570nm to m:

10-9m= 1 nm, so:

570nm * (10-9m) = 5.7E-7 m

2. Ephoton= hc/wavelength

Ephoton= (6.63E-34 * 3.E8)/5.7E-7 m

Ephoton= 3.49E-19 J

3. Finally, I convert to kJ:

Ephoton= 3.49E-19J/1000J = 3.49E-22 kJ

Can someone help me with this problem, I tried many times but I still get the same result.

Physics news on Phys.org

Think of Avogadro's number/constant.

So, I would have:
3.49E-22 kJ * the Avogadro's constant, which is 6.022 × 10E23 mol-1
And I got the answer. yoohoo! Thank you so much. Please explain to me why I have to multiply my answer with the Avogadro's constant to get the final answer. I appreciate your help!

One mole should contain 6.02E23 elementary units. You found the energy of 1 elementary unit.

Oh, I forgot that concept. Thanks for reminding me. One mole of any substance contains this many [6.022 × 10E23] units. :D Cheers!

1. What is the formula for calculating the energy of 1 mole of photons?

The formula is E = hc/λ, where E is the energy of the photon, h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, and λ is the wavelength of the photon.

2. How many photons are in 1 mole?

Avogadro's number, 6.02 x 10^23, is the number of particles in 1 mole. Therefore, in 1 mole of photons, there are also 6.02 x 10^23 photons.

3. How do you convert the energy of 1 mole of photons to joules?

Multiply the energy by Avogadro's number to get the total energy of 1 mole of photons. Then, multiply that by 6.022 x 10^23 to convert from joules per mole to joules.

4. What is the energy of 1 mole of photons in electron volts?

To convert from joules to electron volts, divide the energy in joules by the charge of an electron (1.6 x 10^-19 coulombs). Therefore, the energy of 1 mole of photons in electron volts is E/1.6 x 10^-19.

5. How can I use the energy of 1 mole of photons to calculate the energy of a single photon?

To calculate the energy of a single photon, divide the energy of 1 mole of photons by Avogadro's number. This will give you the average energy of a single photon in a mole of photons.