LHC and the Earth's Magnetic Field

In summary, the magnetic field generated by the LHC is only strong inside a small volume where the beams circulate and has little effect outside. Despite attempts to find sources, none were found. The LHC's magnets are not as strong as other lab machines and the current record for a sustained field is 35T, with a pulse of 100T possible with an exploding system.
psmarz
I was curious as to whether or not there is potential for the magnetic field generated by the LHC to affect the Earth's magnetic field...

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
The magnetic field of the LHC is very strong *inside* a small volume where the beams circulate, but is rather negligible outside. I tried to find some sources, but didn't find any.

vanesch said:
The magnetic field of the LHC is very strong *inside* a small volume where the beams circulate, but is rather negligible outside. I tried to find some sources, but didn't find any.

lol same...and I was thinking the same but seeing how I could not find anything I figured I would ask.

The LHC's magnets are only about 8.5T - you can get twice that in large lab NMR machines.
The record for a sustained field is around 35T you can get about 100T pulse with an exploding system.

Thank you.

What is the LHC and how does it work?

The LHC, or Large Hadron Collider, is a particle accelerator located in Switzerland. It is a 27-kilometer ring-shaped tunnel where particles are accelerated to nearly the speed of light and then collided. These collisions allow scientists to study the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern them.

Can the LHC create black holes that could harm the Earth?

No, the LHC does not have enough energy to create black holes. The energy created during collisions is not enough to overcome the force of gravity, which is necessary for black hole formation. Even if a microscopic black hole was created, it would immediately evaporate due to Hawking radiation.

What is the significance of the Earth's magnetic field in relation to the LHC?

The Earth's magnetic field plays a crucial role in shielding us from cosmic rays, which are high-energy particles that constantly bombard our planet. The LHC also generates high-energy particles, but the magnetic field of the Earth is strong enough to prevent them from reaching the surface and causing harm to living organisms.

Could the LHC experiments affect the Earth's magnetic field?

No, the LHC experiments do not have any significant impact on the Earth's magnetic field. The energy levels created by the LHC are minuscule compared to the natural variations in the Earth's magnetic field, which is constantly changing due to various factors such as solar activity and movement of the Earth's molten core.

What are the potential benefits of studying the Earth's magnetic field at the LHC?

By studying the Earth's magnetic field at the LHC, scientists can better understand the fundamental forces and particles that make up our universe. This knowledge can also help us to better understand and predict natural phenomena such as auroras and space weather, which are influenced by the Earth's magnetic field.