Which is the Best ODE Book: Hirsch or Arnold?

• Thread starter khemix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Ode
In summary, the conversation is about two books on differential equations, Arnold and Hirsch. The speaker recommends Arnold for a deeper understanding of the theory, but only for students who have already taken an introductory course in ordinary differential equations. They also mention that Hirsch's book is poorly written but has some unique theorems. The prerequisites for Arnold's book are being a strong student and having a basic understanding of mathematical concepts. The speaker also mentions that the first edition of Arnold's book is better than the second edition.
khemix
Want a good diffy book. Two names I hear are Arnold and Hirsch. Are they good?

Physics news on Phys.org
Arnold is brilliant, but not for a first course.

So if one did a first course in computation, one is ready for Arnold? What about 1st vs 3rd editions.
And anything about Hirsch, or others?

I don't see what a course in computation has to do with ODEs. If you've already had an introductory course in ordinary differential equations, and know the standard methods to solve the basic types of equations, then you can read Arnold to get a deeper understanding of the theory.

Depends on how much math you've had. Arnold is far more mathematically advanced and won't hold the reader's hand.

as a student i had a routine ode course and never understood anything. arnol'd is more advanced but is so in a conceptually appealing and insightful way. i think it is possible that arnold could actually be more understandable than a routine first course that does not explain any of the ideas but just gives mindless computations.

i.e. the better student you are, the more suitable is arnol'd. and the fact that you are choosing only between arnol'd and hirsch tells me you are likely a strong student.

hirsch is a famous and outstanding mathematician but i think arnol'd's book is much better written pedagogically. if you are so strong that quality of writing is irrelevant to you, and all that matters is the math, there may be some topics covered in hirsch that would make it worth while.

i personally think hirsch is poorly written. but i have his differential topology book because some of the theorems in it are not in my other books.

Vid said:
Depends on how much math you've had. Arnold is far more mathematically advanced and won't hold the reader's hand.

How advanced. Are we talking Rudin advanced and real analysis, or Spivak advanced as with calculus?

in fact, what would you say are the prerequisites?

mathwonk said:
as a student i had a routine ode course and never understood anything. arnol'd is more advanced but is so in a conceptually appealing and insightful way. i think it is possible that arnold could actually be more understandable than a routine first course that does not explain any of the ideas but just gives mindless computations.

i.e. the better student you are, the more suitable is arnol'd. and the fact that you are choosing only between arnol'd and hirsch tells me you are likely a strong student.

hirsch is a famous and outstanding mathematician but i think arnol'd's book is much better written pedagogically. if you are so strong that quality of writing is irrelevant to you, and all that matters is the math, there may be some topics covered in hirsch that would make it worth while.

i personally think hirsch is poorly written. but i have his differential topology book because some of the theorems in it are not in my other books.

if arnold is just as rigorous as hirsch, but also better written, i don't see any reason for choosing hirsch just to have a lemma or two not mentioned in arnold.

all that remains is arnold 1st ed vs 3rd edition...

i have the first edition which is excellent. i bought it based on advice from ana mazon review that said the prie increase for the few extra pages of the second edition i not worth it.

as a general rule, the first edition of every book is the best.

1. What is an ODE book?

An ODE (Ordinary Differential Equations) book is a textbook or reference material that focuses on the study of differential equations, which are mathematical equations that describe how quantities change over time.

2. Who are Hirsch and Arnold?

Hirsch and Arnold are renowned mathematicians who have written books on Ordinary Differential Equations. George Hirsch is a professor emeritus at the University of California, Berkeley, and Stephen Smale is a Fields Medalist and a professor at the City University of Hong Kong. Victor Arnold is a mathematician and professor at the Steklov Mathematical Institute in Russia.

3. What is the difference between the Hirsch and Arnold ODE books?

The main difference between the Hirsch and Arnold ODE books is their approach to teaching the subject. While Hirsch's book focuses more on the analytical and numerical methods of solving ODEs, Arnold's book includes a more geometric and qualitative approach.

4. Which ODE book is better for beginners?

Both the Hirsch and Arnold ODE books are suitable for beginners, but it ultimately depends on the individual's personal learning style. Hirsch's book may be more suitable for those who prefer a more traditional approach, while Arnold's book may be better for those who prefer a more visual and intuitive approach.

5. Are there any prerequisites for studying these ODE books?

Some familiarity with calculus and basic linear algebra is recommended for studying the Hirsch and Arnold ODE books. However, both books provide a thorough introduction to these topics for those who may need a refresher.