Chemistry The Atomic Mass of M

In summary, when M2S3 is heated in air, it forms MO2 and a 4.000g sample of M2S3 lost 0.277g during this conversion. The average atomic mass of M can be calculated by setting up a balanced reaction equation and using the given change in mass to solve for the molar mass of M.
George3

Homework Statement

When M2S3 is heated in air, it is converted to MO2. A 4.000g sample of M2S3 shows a decrease in mass of .277 g when it is heated in air. What is the average atomic mass of M?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't not really know how to tackle this problem. I know the mass of MO2 would be 3.833g.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your problem description indicates that 0.277 grams of M2S3 gave its stoichiometric amount of MO2. How do you know that the mass of MO2 is 3.833 grams as you say in your solution attempt? Your description does not give enough information for that. I might be missing something in my logic.

I think George means 3.733.

George, start with a balanced reaction equation:

M2S3 + O2 -> MO2 + SO2

Try to express mass of MO2 produced in terms of masses and molar masses or reagents, that should give you one equation with one unknown - molar mass of M.

1. What is the definition of atomic mass in chemistry?

The atomic mass of an element is the average mass of all the naturally occurring isotopes of that element, taking into account their relative abundances.

2. How is the atomic mass of an element determined?

The atomic mass is determined by calculating the sum of the masses of all the isotopes of that element, multiplied by their relative abundances.

3. Why is atomic mass given in decimal form?

Atomic mass is given in decimal form because it takes into account all the naturally occurring isotopes of an element, which have slightly different masses. This results in a decimal value instead of a whole number.

4. Is atomic mass the same as atomic weight?

No, atomic mass and atomic weight are not the same. Atomic mass is the average mass of all the isotopes of an element, while atomic weight is the average mass of an element in a specific sample, taking into account all the isotopes and their relative abundances.

5. How does atomic mass affect the properties of an element?

Atomic mass does not directly affect the properties of an element, but it can impact the stability and reactivity of different isotopes of that element. However, other factors such as atomic structure and bonding also play a significant role in the properties of an element.