Minimum force in a single turn square loop

In summary, a single-turn square loop with a current of 18.0 A, measuring 17.1 cm on each side and with a mass of 0.0360 kg, is initially lying flat on a horizontal tabletop. When a horizontal magnetic field is turned on, only one side of the loop experiences an upward force. Using the equation B=mg/2IL, the minimum magnetic field, Bmin, necessary to start tipping the loop up from the table is calculated to be 0.5435 T. However, this calculation is incorrect and further steps are needed to find the correct value of Bmin.
Cheezay

Homework Statement

A single-turn square loop carries a current of 18.0 A. The loop is 17.1 cm on a side and has a mass of 0.0360 kg. Initially the loop lies flat on a horizontal tabletop. When a horizontal magnetic field is turned on, it is found that only one side of the loop experiences an upward force. Calculate the minimum magnetic field, Bmin, necessary to start tipping the loop up from the table.

Homework Equations

B=mg/2IL

The Attempt at a Solution

So basically i am using the above equation, and I'm dividing the weight of the loop by 2, because only half the loop is feeling force. So plugging in my numbers, i get .5435 T and it's incorrect, any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Initially the force is acting on one side of the loop. Other end is on the table. This force acts on the loop until the loop stands vertically on the table. Find the work done by this force on the loop. equate it to the potential energy of the loop. And find Bmin.

I would like to clarify a few things before providing a response. Firstly, I would like to confirm that the loop is a perfect square and not a rectangle, as this would affect the calculations. Secondly, I would like to know the orientation of the magnetic field with respect to the loop. Is it parallel or perpendicular? This will also impact the calculations.

Assuming the loop is a perfect square and the magnetic field is perpendicular to the loop, your calculation of Bmin=0.5435 T is correct. However, if the magnetic field is parallel to the loop, the minimum force required would be zero as there would be no torque acting on the loop.

If the loop is a rectangle, the calculation would be slightly different and would depend on the orientation of the magnetic field. I would suggest double-checking your numbers and equations to ensure accuracy. If you are still getting an incorrect answer, it would be helpful to see your work and calculations to identify any errors.

1. What is the concept of minimum force in a single turn square loop?

The concept of minimum force in a single turn square loop refers to the minimum amount of force required to move a loop of wire in a square shape, while maintaining a constant magnetic field and inducing a current. It is an important concept in electromagnetism and plays a role in many practical applications.

2. How is minimum force calculated in a single turn square loop?

The minimum force in a single turn square loop can be calculated using the formula F = I x B x L, where F is the minimum force required, I is the current in the loop, B is the magnetic field strength, and L is the length of the loop. This formula is based on the principles of electromagnetism and is derived from the Lorentz force law.

3. What factors affect the minimum force in a single turn square loop?

The minimum force in a single turn square loop is affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the length and width of the loop, and the current passing through the loop. Additionally, the angle between the magnetic field and the loop, known as the angle of incidence, can also impact the minimum force required.

4. How is minimum force in a single turn square loop used in practical applications?

The concept of minimum force in a single turn square loop is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in the design of electric motors and generators. It is also used in the development of magnetic levitation systems, where a minimum force is required to levitate an object above a magnetic track. In industrial settings, the minimum force can be used to determine the optimal size and shape of a loop for a particular application.

5. Can the minimum force in a single turn square loop be reduced?

Yes, the minimum force in a single turn square loop can be reduced by increasing the strength of the magnetic field, decreasing the length of the loop, or increasing the current passing through the loop. These adjustments can be made in practical applications to optimize the efficiency and performance of the system.