Electromagnetic Repulsion research

In summary, the conversation is about a person's attempt to use an electromagnet to repel a permanent magnet, but can only get it to attract. They have tried various methods, such as flipping the permanent magnet and switching the wires, but have been unsuccessful. Suggestions are made to try reducing the number of coils or using a plastic rod instead of an iron core. It is also suggested to use a bigger battery or increase the number of coils to generate a stronger magnetic force. The conversation concludes with a discussion about safety precautions when using a car battery or plugging the electromagnet into a wall socket.
willynilly

Homework Statement

I have made an electromagnet out of a 1 ft. iron nail, insulated copper wiring and a 1.5 D cell battery.

My task is to use the electromagnet to repel a small, circular permanent magnet (1 in. dia., 1/4 in. thick)

For some reason, I can only get the electromagnet to attract the permanent magnet. All of my research says that magnets, whether electromagnets or permanent, will attract when opposite poles connect and will repel when same poles connect.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've done everything I can think of to try and connect the same poles. I've tried flipping around the permanent magnet, connecting the permanent magnet to each end of the electromagnet, and switching the end of the wire connected the negative side of the battery to the positive side and vise versa.

What can I do to make my electromagnet repel the permanent magnet?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps your electromagent is too powerful? Try reducing the number of coils. Or too weak even. Have you tested their relative strength qualitively, on a piece of iron say? Beyond that I have no idea, sorry.

Vuldoraq said:
Perhaps your electromagent is too powerful? Try reducing the number of coils. Beyond that I have no idea, sorry.

Hmmm...I don't think it's too powerful, if anything not powerful enough...It can barely pick up a few paperclips.

Thanks for the suggestion though, I appreciate it.

edit: I do have a TON of coils. The entire foot-long nail is covered. I always thought that coils x voltage = strength, so I used as many coils as possible to compensate for the 1.5 D cell battery.

Maybe I'll try using less coils. I'll see what other responses I get here first though.

Thanks

Last edited:
willynilly said:

Homework Statement

I have made an electromagnet out of a 1 ft. iron nail, insulated copper wiring and a 1.5 D cell battery.

My task is to use the electromagnet to repel a small, circular permanent magnet (1 in. dia., 1/4 in. thick)

For some reason, I can only get the electromagnet to attract the permanent magnet. All of my research says that magnets, whether electromagnets or permanent, will attract when opposite poles connect and will repel when same poles connect.

I've done everything I can think of to try and connect the same poles. I've tried flipping around the permanent magnet, connecting the permanent magnet to each end of the electromagnet, and switching the end of the wire connected the negative side of the battery to the positive side and vise versa.

What can I do to make my electromagnet repel the permanent magnet?

Thanks

Your problem may be that the attractiveness of the iron with the permanent magnet over-matches the strength of the field you are generating with your battery. Maybe try a plastic rod? Or a bigger battery? Or more coils?

LowlyPion said:
Your problem may be that the attractiveness of the iron with the permanent magnet over-matches the strength of the field you are generating with your battery. Maybe try a plastic rod? Or a bigger battery? Or more coils?

That's actually what I thought was the problem at first, but I was told that it wasn't possible because magnets can't be attracting and repelling at the same time. But, maybe the person I asked didn't understand what I was trying to say.

Thanks, I'll see if I can get a hold of a bigger battery.

Also, what would a plastic rod be used for?

willynilly said:
Also, what would a plastic rod be used for?

To wrap coils without an iron core, which may be the source of your problem.

Or the center of a paper towel roll. Basically anything not magnetic.

LowlyPion said:
To wrap coils without an iron core, which may be the source of your problem.

Or the center of a paper towel roll. Basically anything not magnetic.

Oh...I thought you needed to have some kind of conductive core. I guess I'll give it a try.

Also, is "amperage" simply battery strength? How do I increase amperage, increase battery strength? (I know it's a stupid question, but I'm a totaly newb to this kind of stuff)

Thanks

willynilly said:
Oh...I thought you needed to have some kind of conductive core. I guess I'll give it a try.

Also, is "amperage" simply battery strength? How do I increase amperage, increase battery strength? (I know it's a stupid question, but I'm a totaly newb to this kind of stuff)

Thanks

Your D battery is pretty limited. 1.5 V in the partial-amp range. A car battery - 12 V and beau coup amps of current might be appropriate, but you need to worry about limiting the current with enough resistance so you don't hurt yourself or your coil doesn't burn if the wire is not thick enough. V = I*R

Also more coils helps to increase the magnetic force you generate.

LowlyPion said:
Your D battery is pretty limited. 1.5 V in the partial-amp range. A car battery - 12 V and beau coup amps of current might be appropriate, but you need to worry about limiting the current with enough resistance so you don't hurt yourself or your coil doesn't burn if the wire is not thick enough. V = I*R

Also more coils helps to increase the magnetic force you generate.

I think you were right about the permanent magnet's attraction to the the iron nail exceeding the the strength of its magnetic field. I changed from a 1.5 D to 2 AAA's and I noticed that one side of the permanent magnet has a much stronger attraction to the electromagnet than the flip side. I think I just wasn't getting enough voltage through the electromagnet.

Say I did use a car battery, what safety precautions would I have to take? Is there some way I could strip a cord and just plug the electromagnet into a wall socket?

Thanks

willynilly said:
I think you were right about the permanent magnet's attraction to the the iron nail exceeding the the strength of its magnetic field. I changed from a 1.5 D to 2 AAA's and I noticed that one side of the permanent magnet has a much stronger attraction to the electromagnet than the flip side. I think I just wasn't getting enough voltage through the electromagnet.

Say I did use a car battery, what safety precautions would I have to take? Is there some way I could strip a cord and just plug the electromagnet into a wall socket?

Thanks

You of course can do anything, but before you do anything DANGEROUS like wrapping AC cord and slamming a dead short into a wall plug or electrocuting yourself, ask yourself with AC current what kind of magnetic field does it create? Which end will be North? (How often a second?) See a problem with that?

If you use a car battery or more batteries in series, figure what the resistance will be first so you know your current will be relatively safe. (A,B,C,D batteries in series will be safer than a car battery because they have natural limitations on what they can supply. They also discharge faster for a given load you may be sure.

What is electromagnetic repulsion research?

Electromagnetic repulsion research is a branch of science that studies the interaction between electrically charged particles and the forces that cause them to repel each other.

What are the applications of electromagnetic repulsion research?

Electromagnetic repulsion research has various applications, such as in the development of magnetic levitation technology, particle accelerators, and electric motors.

What factors affect the strength of electromagnetic repulsion?

The strength of electromagnetic repulsion is influenced by several factors, including the distance between the charged particles, the magnitude of their charges, and the permittivity of the medium in which they are interacting.

How does electromagnetic repulsion differ from electromagnetic attraction?

Electromagnetic repulsion and attraction are two opposite forces that occur between charged particles. While repulsion is the force that causes like charges to push away from each other, attraction is the force that pulls opposite charges towards each other.

What are the potential benefits of further research on electromagnetic repulsion?

Further research on electromagnetic repulsion could lead to advancements in fields such as transportation, energy production, and materials science. It could also help us better understand the fundamental forces of the universe.